Commelina forskaolii or C. erecta-pl. confirm

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 18, 2010, 4:13:33 AM8/18/10
to efloraofindia
This plant has been lying in my folders for now more than an year. Under normal circumstances I would have identified it as C. forskaolii Vahl, a species which has been commonly reported from the area (Old Delhi Ridge) and lot of cytotaxonomic work done by workers as Delhi University. However, I could not ignore three clear differences that I noted in this plant: plants are erect;there seem to be auricles at the base of the leaf blade and the leaves are almost linear-lanceolate. These features take me to C. erecta  L., although not reported from the area. The only feature that is preventing me to call it C. erecta is proximal petal which appears bluish. Incidentally both the species are described and keyed in Flora of North America with the differences:

Leaf-sheath with auricles at summit; Proximal petal minute, white; locules all one seeded; plants erect; leaves linear to lanceolate.........C. erecta

Leaf-sheath not auricled; proximal petal blue, lilac or lavender; some locules 2-seeded; plants decumbent to ascending;
 leaves oblong to lanceolate-oblong to elliptic-oblong........................................................................................................................C. forskaolii

I am uploading different parts of plant including fruits. Kindly give your opinion.

.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Commelina-Delhi-a.jpg
Commelina-Delhi-b.jpg
Commelina-Delhi-c.jpg
Commelina-Delhi-d.jpg
Commelina-Delhi-e.jpg
Commelina-Delhi-f.jpg
Commelina-Delhi-g.jpg
Commelina-Delhi-h.jpg
Commelina-Delhi-i.jpg

ajinkya gadave

Aug 18, 2010, 4:56:07 AM8/18/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
one from me .
4.JPG

Mayur Nandikar

Aug 18, 2010, 7:33:46 AM8/18/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

     As per my opinion all the Commelina's are complicated, but few characters such as spathe, capsule, seed are plays important role in their identification.

     Your normal circumstances may be correct. Becoz, in my observations, I never found underground (Cleistogamous) flowers in Commelina erecta, while this is constant character in C. forsskalaei Vahl. (Commelina-Delhi-d.jpg).

      Another things here is the hell lot of nomenclature problem with Commelina erecta (46 synonyms according to Miss. Bot. Garden) some examples............

Commelina erecta of Linn .published in Species Plantarum 1: 41. 1753. (1 May 1753); Lectotype designated by Clarke, Monogr. Phan. 3: 181(1881).

Robert Brown describes same species different epithet Commelina undulata R. Br.Prodromus Florae Novae Hollandiae 270. 1810.

Commelina kurzii C.B. Clarke synonym for Commelina undulata R. Br.

Now from my observation Commelina erecta and Commelina kurzii both are different (C. B. Clarke also treat different in  Monog. Phan. 1981). Commelina erecta is invasive and originate from New world while Commelina kurzii is from old world (Asia). While C.erecta with isolate, pedunculate spathe while C. kurzii with 2-3 subsessile aggregate spathe.

So finally, on the basis of spathe and cleistogamous flower it may conclude the above posted species might be Commelina forsskalaei Vahl.

(hereby, some attachment for the confirmation).

Thank you

Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,
Department of Botany,
Shivaji University,
Kolhapur.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 18, 2010, 8:20:06 AM8/18/10
to Mayur Nandikar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mayur
Thanks for the analysis. It will help a lot in final conclusion.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089