Large Tree

Ramjee Nagarajan

Nov 16, 2009, 12:59:56 AM11/16/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends,

Vanakkam! Greetings from Chennai.

Last weekend (15 & 15 Nov, 2009) I had a chance to visit Trichur, Kerala. No wonder it is called “God’s Own Country”. Pristine beauty everywhere. Unfortunate to me, it was raining heavily and couldn’t venture out often.

At the break of every downpour, I managed to sneak around the immediate surroundings…

I saw this tree with large fruits in the central circle around the Vadakkunathan Temple. The fruits appeared like woodapple, which on a closer looked proved me wrong.

Location: 10. 48 N & 76.2 E (Google map)

Would like to learn the ID.

Thank you.

Regards,

ramjee

image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 16, 2009, 1:16:17 AM11/16/09
to Ramjee Nagarajan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Ramjee,
I think it's Swietenia macrophylla.

More details from Indiantreepix Database:

Swietenia macrophylla King in Hook Meliaceae T Large-leaved Mahogany/ Bastard Mahogany  Swietenia macrophylla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Large-leaved Mahogany/ Bastard Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) - indiantreepix | Google Groups Swietenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Swietenia macrophylla For ID-120808RK - indiantreepix | Google Groups ID110109phk - indiantreepix | Google Groups Sweitenia - indiantreepix | Google Groups Swietenia - indiantreepix | Google Groups

2009/11/16 Ramjee Nagarajan <ramj...@gmail.com>

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

image004.jpg