Pachyrhizus erosus (L.) Urb. ? from Hooghly 15/11/12 sk3

surajit koley

Nov 15, 2012, 8:49:19 AM11/15/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Attaching images of what appears to me is Pachyrhizus erosus (L.) Urb.Pachyrhizus angulatus Rich. ex DC.Dolichos bulbosus L. = SANKALU in Bengali.

H & H : large climber, hairy stem, leaves can be twice bigger than the ones in pic DSCN7450.jpg, do not have flower pics
Date : 15/11/12, 10.50 a.m.
Place : Hooghly

Thank you & Regards,

surajit
DSCN7444.jpg
DSCN7445.jpg
DSCN7448.jpg
DSCN7449.jpg
DSCN7450.jpg
DSCN7453.jpg
DSCN7455.jpg
DSCN7458.jpg
DSCN7459.jpg

jmgarg1

Nov 23, 2012, 3:47:29 AM11/23/12
to efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ratang...@yahoo.com, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, surajitno...@gmail.com, Karuna Das

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2000 members & 1,37,000 messages on 31/10/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

DSCN7444.jpg
DSCN7445.jpg
DSCN7448.jpg
DSCN7449.jpg
DSCN7450.jpg
DSCN7453.jpg
DSCN7455.jpg
DSCN7458.jpg
DSCN7459.jpg

surajit koley

Nov 23, 2012, 11:47:32 AM11/23/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia
Thank you Garg Sir, it is Pachyrhizus erosus (L.) Urb.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Jan 16, 2015, 11:05:08 AM1/16/15
to efloraofindia
P1130504.jpg
P1130511.jpg
P1130513.jpg
P1130515.jpg
P1130516.jpg
P1130518.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Jan 16, 2015, 10:59:44 PM1/16/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Surajit
wow
sankha aloo in all its constituent plant parts
well done
I had never seen the pods

can you save some seeds and then photograph them please?

i wonder if the sankha  aloo can be planted from the market

usha di

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 9:34 PM, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:

Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Jan 17, 2015, 8:43:20 AM1/17/15
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Didi, people say that these seeds are poisonous, root tubers are now selling at Rs.10 to 20 a kg,, as you may know would be in demand until Saraswati Puja.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 17, 2015, 9:35:03 AM1/17/15
to surajit koley, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Very commonly sold in California as Jicama. Here are two colours I photographed this year

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
Pachyrhizus erosus-Fremont-DSC_3322-California-1.jpg
Pachyrhizus-erosus-Jicama-Sunnyvale-DSC_0101-California-2.jpg

surajit koley

Jan 17, 2015, 10:23:32 AM1/17/15
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Yes Sir, I have seen Aarti Ji's upload too.
Thank you
Regards
surajit

Nidhan Singh

Jan 17, 2015, 10:19:31 PM1/17/15
to surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Interesting, never seen Surajit Ji..thanks for lovely pics..
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

surajit koley

Jan 18, 2015, 9:42:36 AM1/18/15
to Nidhan Singh, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sir.
Regards
surajit

Abid Munshi

Jan 18, 2015, 12:07:07 PM1/18/15
to surajit koley, Nidhan Singh, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Dear Friends
Seems to be Pachyrhizus erosus
Prof. A. H. Munshi

On 18 January 2015 at 20:12, surajit koley

surajit koley

Jan 18, 2015, 12:09:27 PM1/18/15
to Abid Munshi, Nidhan Singh, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sir, for confirming the ID.
Regards
surajit

Ushadi Micromini

Jan 19, 2015, 6:35:16 AM1/19/15
to Nidhan Singh, surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nidhan
we serve it as one of the prasad at Saraswati puja in Bengal

children love it
crunchy semi sweet carb, i guess is the reason

i like it too in mexican style though... lemon salt and paprika power..its street finger food in most mexican cities...  posh restaurants serve it too, over there and in Texas.

usha di

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Nidhan Singh <nidhans...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Usha di
===========

Nidhan Singh

Jan 19, 2015, 8:53:38 AM1/19/15
to Ushadi Micromini, surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Interesting information Ushadi Ji..
I wonder what it tastes like...

Ushadi Micromini

Jan 19, 2015, 11:58:15 AM1/19/15
to Nidhan Singh, surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nidhan
its available in markets right now
if you have bengali community near by ask they would know where it is available locally in your neighborhood

otherwise PRIVATELY send me your address and I'll overnite a few to you

usha di
--
Usha di