(050509SCS3-4) Oxalis species ? Growing in water?

Suresh C. Sharma

May 5, 2009, 11:13:35 AM5/5/09
to indiantreepix
Is it some species of Oxalis? Growing in water?

Without flowers, I cannot ID this, but there is some bright spot in the centre.

Sonepat, Haryana on 2nd May 09.

Regards,
Suresh C. Sharma
Picture-088.jpg
Picture-089.jpg
Picture-087.jpg

grassman

May 5, 2009, 1:06:49 PM5/5/09
to indiantreepix
dear suresh ji

this one is again a gugly for you.

dear it is not oxalis but Marselia sp. ( a pteridophyte not an
angiosperm). it doesnt bear flower but sporocarps.

sibdas

May 5, 2009, 1:31:50 PM5/5/09
to indiantreepix
This is a Marsilea sp. Perhaps M. quadrifolia. An aquatic fern. Often
taken as a vegetable.A non-flowering plant produces sporocarp.

On May 5, 8:13 pm, "Suresh C. Sharma" <bushc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it some species of Oxalis? Growing in water?
>
> Without flowers, I cannot ID this, but *there is some bright spot in the
> centre.*
> **
> Sonepat, Haryana on 2nd May 09.
>
> Regards,
> Suresh C. Sharma
>
>  Picture-088.jpg
> 50KViewDownload
>
>  Picture-089.jpg
> 94KViewDownload
>
>  Picture-087.jpg
> 149KViewDownload

Suresh C. Sharma

May 5, 2009, 8:55:23 PM5/5/09
to grassman, indiantreepix
Dear Dr Anil ji ad Sibdas ji,

Great sir, thank you so much.
One more plant ID learnt. Florawatching and learning is a bliss.

Kind regards,
Suresh

J.M. Garg

May 6, 2009, 1:15:17 AM5/6/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, grassman, indiantreepix
Hi, Suresh ji,
I think everybody who is finding time & taking interest, including is learning.

Some extracts from Wikipedia link (for pictures & more details, click on the link): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsilea_quadrifolia

Common names

'Four Leaf Clover'; European waterclover (USA); Sushni in parts of India

Origins

found in central and southern Europe, Caucasia, western Siberia, Afghanistan, sw India, China, Japan and North America. Considered a weed in some parts of the United States where it has been well established in the north eastern States for over 100 years. [1]

Description

Aquatic fern bearing 4 parted leaf resembling '4-leaf clover' (Trifolium). Leaves floating in deep water or erect in shallow water or on land. Leaflets obdeltoid, to 3/4" long, glaucous, petioles to 8" long; Sporocarp (ferns) ellipsoid, to 3/16" long, dark brown, on stalks to 3/4" long, attached to base of petioles.

Uses

A juice made from the leaves is diuretic and febrifuge. It is also used to treat snakebite and applied to abscesses etc[218]. The plant is anti-inflammatory, diuretic, depurative, febrifuge and refrigerant. [2]

Cultivation

The plant prefers light (sandy) and medium (loamy) soils. The plant prefers acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils. It can grow in semi-shade (light woodland) or no shade. It requires moist or wet soil and can grow in water. [3]

Marsilea quadrifolia can be grown as a potted plant, either just with soil kept wet, or semi-submerged, with fronds emergent from the water, or fully-submerged, with the fronds floating on the surface of the water.

In the aquarium, water clover is grown fully submerged, usually in the foreground where it spreads by means of runners. It normally seems to be unfussy as to light and water conditions, and doesn't need a rich substrate.

Marsileas are very easy to germinate from their Sporocarp (ferns). However, the sporocarps must be abraded, cracked, or have an edge sliced off before submerging them in water so that the water can penetrate to swell the tissues, and germination is infrared-light dependent. Full sunlight is fine for this purpose.

2009/5/6 Suresh C. Sharma <bush...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

JM Garg

Apr 15, 2013, 4:26:49 AM4/15/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com, bush...@gmail.com
A reply from another thread:
"Well it sometimes takes a long time for later research work to become generally known. First M. quadrifolia does NOT occur in India (apart from some cultures in Universities etc.) - it is mainly a European species, as has been known now since two or three decades. It is distinguished quite easily by the sorocarps arising from a short way up the leaf pedicel, not in the axil where the pedicell meets the basal stem as in Indian species.
All the reports from India, Pakistan etc., which basicly go back to 19th Century alpha-taxonomy, turned out on investigation to be either sterile plants - which are unidentifiable - or mistakes.
The usual mistake is for the very widespread and common Indian species, M. minuta (syn.: M. crenata), with the sorocarps arising at the axil. There are two other species in peninsular India, and any number of forms of M. minuta have been described, sometimes as species.
Best wishes from the BM, London.
Chris Fraser-Jenkins. "
Thanks, Drt. Chris."