Plant for ID - Ernakulam, Kerala - 16th Jan

Nancy Seby

Jan 15, 2021, 10:17:28 AM1/15/21
to efloraofindia
Plant was photographed in the backyard of our house. It's called Kandichembu in Malayalam. The tubers are cooked and eaten.

But I am not able to figure out the botanical name. Please help. The plant is about 2-3 feet tall with broad, large leaves.

Thank you in advance
Nancy Seby
Plant for ID2.jpeg
Plant for ID5.jpeg
Plant for ID3.jpeg
Plant for ID.jpeg
Plant for ID4.jpeg

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 15, 2021, 10:45:34 PM1/15/21
to efloraofindia
Colocasia esculenta I hope

Mahadeswara

Jan 16, 2021, 12:32:23 AM1/16/21
to efloraofindia
I agree with Gurucharn sir's ID.  In Kannada   In Kannada it is known as Kesavinadantu, widely used for various culinary preparationS in  Dakshina Kannada & Coastal areas .
On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 8:47:28 PM UTC+5:30 nanz...@gmail.com wrote:
Message has been deleted

Nancy Seby

Jan 16, 2021, 3:58:31 AM1/16/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you, Gurucharan ji and Mahadeswara ji.

These ones with smaller leaves are Colocasia esculenta for sure. But the ones I have posted earlier have much larger leaves, about 3-4 times larger than these.

Is it possible that they are Alocasia macrorrhizos or Xanthosoma sagittifolium?

And in Malayalam, the smaller-leaved one is called 'Cheruchembu' and the larger-leaved one is called 'Kandichembu'. So I am assuming they have different botanical names.

I also read that if the petiole attached to the tip of the midvein, it is most likely to be Alocasia; and if the petiole attaches further down on the leaf, it's most likely Colocasia. Just read it in a website, not authentic information

Many thanks for all the input.
Warm regards
Nancy  Seby
colocasia esculenta3.JPG
colocasia esculenta4.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 22, 2021, 10:47:56 AM1/22/21
to efloraofindia, Nancy Seby, M Swamy, GurcharanSingh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Colocasia esculenta I hope- from Singh ji

I agree with Gurucharn sir's ID.  In Kannada it is known as Kesavinadantu, widely used for various culinary preparationS in  Dakshina Kannada & Coastal areas.

http://keralaplants.in/keralaplantsdetails.aspx?id=Colocasia_esculenta - from Mahadeswara ji

Thank you, Gurucharan ji and Mahadeswara ji.

These ones with smaller leaves are Colocasia esculenta for sure. But the ones I have posted earlier have much larger leaves, about 3-4 times larger than these.

Is it possible that they are Alocasia macrorrhizos or Xanthosoma sagittifolium?

And in Malayalam, the smaller-leaved one is called 'Cheruchembu' and the larger-leaved one is called 'Kandichembu'. So I am assuming they have different botanical names.

I also read that if the petiole attached to the tip of the midvein, it is most likely to be Alocasia; and if the petiole attaches further down on the leaf, it's most likely Colocasia. Just read it in a website, not authentic information

Many thanks for all the input.
Warm regards

Nancy  Seby

With regards,
J.M.Garg
Plant for ID2.jpeg
Plant for ID5.jpeg
Plant for ID3.jpeg
Plant for ID.jpeg
Plant for ID4.jpeg

J.M. Garg

Jan 22, 2021, 10:51:25 AM1/22/21
to efloraofindia, Nancy Seby, M Swamy, GurcharanSingh
I think inflorescence or tubers may help in id.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Pudji Widodo

Jan 22, 2021, 11:20:24 PM1/22/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nancy Seby, M Swamy, GurcharanSingh
Dear Sirs and Madams,

I send you my pictures.  It may be able to help.

With Regards,
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Colo-Xantho-Alocas.JPG

Nancy Seby

Jan 23, 2021, 12:00:09 AM1/23/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you, Mr. Widodo.

After some more research, I have come to the conclusion that it is either Colocasia spp. or Xanthosoma sagittifolium.

It is unlikely to be Alocasia spp. since Alocasia leaves mostly point upwards.

These plants did not have flowers. Once they flower, I will take pictures and add them to this thread.

Warm regards
Nancy Seby

J.M. Garg

Jan 29, 2021, 6:24:18 AM1/29/21
to efloraofindia, Nancy Seby, Pudji Widodo
Based on Pudji's comparative images, I feel it may be Xanthosoma sagittifolium

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Pudji Widodo

Jan 30, 2021, 12:05:45 AM1/30/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nancy Seby
Yes, I agree. I send you my Xanthosoma sagittifolium. I have some variations in our areas.
Best Wishes,

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Xanthosoma_sagittifolium (4).JPG

Nancy Seby

Jan 31, 2021, 4:08:38 AM1/31/21