Tulsi in a brick.

Mahendra Prasad

Feb 4, 2009, 2:53:54 AM2/4/09
to indiantreepix
Here are 3 pix of a Tulsi growing in a brick in my roof top garden.  - Mahendra Prasad

P1160522 (Small).JPG
P1160523 (Small).JPG
P1160524 (Small).JPG

J.M. Garg

Feb 6, 2009, 9:08:42 AM2/6/09
to Mahendra Prasad, indiantreepix
Very interesting, Mahendra ji, though I found it's difficult to grow it inside my home.

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocimum_tenuiflorum

Ocimum tenuiflorum (also known as Ocimum sanctum, Tulsi, Tulasī (तुलसी‌) in Sanskrit and Hindi, (తులసి) in Telugu,(തുളസി) in Malayalam, (துளசி) in Tamil, (ತುಳಸಿ) in Kannada, Maduruthala in Sinhalese) is an aromatic plant in the family Lamiaceae. It is an erect, much branched subshrub 30-60cm tall, with simple opposite green or purple leaves that are strongly scented, and hairy stems. Leaves have petioles, and are ovate, up to 5cm long, usually somewhat toothed. Flowers are purplish in elongate racemes in close whorls.[1] Tulsi is native throughout the Old World tropics and widespread as a cultivated plant and an escaped weed.[2] It is cultivated for religious and medicinal purposes, and for its essential oil. There are two main morphotypes cultivated in India—green-leaved (Sri or Lakshmi tulsi) and purple-leaved (Krishna tulsi).[3]

It is known across South Asia as a medicinal plant, commonly used in Ayurveda, and has an important role within the Vaishnavite tradition of Hinduism, in which devotees perform worship involving Tulsi plants or leaves.

There is also a variety of Ocimum tenuiflorum which is used in Thai cuisine, and is referred to as "Thai holy basil", or kha phrao[4]—not be confused with "Thai Basil", which is a variety of Ocimum basilicum.

2009/2/4 Mahendra Prasad <mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in>
Here are 3 pix of a Tulsi growing in a brick in my roof top garden.  - Mahendra Prasad

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now. J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"
Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna: