fruits & vegetables :: NATURALIZED, CULTIVATED, GARDEN :: Anacardiaceae » Anacardium occidentale

Dinesh Valke

Jan 2, 2011, 1:32:24 PM1/2/11
to efloraofindia
Anacardiaceae (cashew family) » Anacardium occidentale
Synonyms: Acajuba occidentalis, Anacardium microcarpum, Cassuvium pomiverum

an-uh-KAR-dee-um -- a fruit's name of an Indian tree, applied to cashew by Linnaeus
ock-sih-den-TAY-lee -- of or from the west

commonly known as
: cashew • Hindi: hijli-badam, काजू kaju • Kannada: ಗೇರು geru, ಗೋಡಮ್ಬಿ godambe • Konkani: काजू kaju • Malayalam: കശുമാവ് kasumaav, പറങ്കിമാവ് parankimaav • Marathi: काजू kaju • Sanskrit: काजुतकः kajutaka, वृक्कफल vrkkaphalah • Tamil: முந்திரி muntiri, முந்திரிக்கொட்டை muntirikkottai • Telugu: అగ్రబీజము agrabijamu, జీడిమామిడి jidimamidi, mokka mamidi, ముంతమామిడి muntamamidi • Urdu: کاجو kaajuu

Native to: Brazil

Edible use:
... false fruit: ripened accessory fruit (sometimes called a pseudocarp or false fruit, as FRUIT) ... called as cashew apple
... true fruit: consists of single seed (better known as NUT, processed as DRIED FRUIT or VEGETABLE)
Read from Wikipedia
3690364203_cea6ddf3df_b.jpg
863133667_5c454a00eb_b.jpg
2284637223_b391ee1c97_b.jpg
2463018711_7d9a7210ce_b.jpg

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 3, 2011, 3:25:01 AM1/3/11
to efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,
My picture of a ripe Cashew fruit from our home garden at Nasik, Maharashtra.
These were posted earlier.
Aarti

Fruits-Cashew ripe-DSCN3894.JPG

mani nair

Jan 6, 2011, 10:56:14 AM1/6/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Photo of a Cashew bought from market.

Regards,

Mani.
kaju.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 7, 2011, 11:59:44 PM1/7/11
to mani nair, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Mani ji
That is really cute.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

mani nair

Jan 8, 2011, 2:38:08 AM1/8/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji for the appreciation.

Regards,

Mani.