ID pl.

shriharsha nitsture

Aug 6, 2011, 12:00:39 PM8/6/11
to efloraindia, india-nature-pixs, Adesh Shivkar, seema_...@yahoo.com
Dear all

Today at Gate way of India (Mumbai) just below the Shivaji Maharaj statue we observed a handsome tree as big as plumeria alba, with a dense canopy of large, pointy, smooth (?) about 25 to 30 cm long. Flowers: plumeria alba type white flowers with elephant apple type green  fruits. The leaves were frangipany type.

Regards

shriharsha nitsure
photo0017q.jpg
Photo0036.jpg
Photo0042.jpg

Vijayasankar

Aug 6, 2011, 12:49:58 PM8/6/11
to shriharsha nitsture, efloraindia, india-nature-pixs, Adesh Shivkar, seema_...@yahoo.com
Well described! It looks like a Yellow-eyed pong pong tree (Cerbera odollam), a coastal tree belonging to the family Apocynaceae; said to be poisonous...

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Tanay Bose

Aug 6, 2011, 1:45:56 PM8/6/11
to Vijayasankar, shriharsha nitsture, efloraindia, india-nature-pixs, Adesh Shivkar, seema_...@yahoo.com
Yes Cerbera odollam as indicated by Vijaya ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Mahadeswara

Aug 6, 2011, 11:31:10 PM8/6/11
to efloraofindia
A beautiful specimen tree is seen in Madras Theosophical Society
Campus, Chennai.