Tree on Mowbray's Road

Padmini Raghavan

Oct 7, 2009, 2:25:20 PM10/7/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I am afraid I have not been able to record any flowers or fruit on this tree.

Is it related to the soap-nut tree, Sapindus (?) emarginata? ( or is
it marginatus?)
Padmini Raghavan.

Mowbray's Rd. 007.jpg
Mowbray's Rd. 008.jpg

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 7, 2009, 2:49:36 PM10/7/09
to Padmini Raghavan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Padmini ji
What I can gather from photograph, the leaves seem simple to me. They should be pinnate in Sapindus emarginatus (rather unsual epithet, because tree species generally have feminine ending).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

Neil Soares

Oct 7, 2009, 10:11:07 PM10/7/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Padmini Raghavan
Hi Padmini,
   It looks like Manilkara hexandra [Mimusops hexandra] locally called Khirni / Rayan.
                          With regards,
                            Neil Soares.

Vijayasankar Raman

Oct 8, 2009, 1:26:41 AM10/8/09
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, Padmini Raghavan
Hi, could it be Calophyllum inophyllum? (Alexandrian laurel; Surpan; Punnai) a common avenue tree espl in coastal towns. The glossy leaves have parallel venation.

--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

Parjanya guru

Oct 8, 2009, 5:27:16 AM10/8/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, Padmini Raghavan
Is there any chance of Barringtonia acutanguala..?

J.M. Garg

Nov 6, 2009, 10:20:56 AM11/6/09
to indiantreepix, Padmini Raghavan, Neil Soares, Vijayasankar Raman, Parjanya guru, Gurcharan Singh-sify

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

"What I can gather from photograph, the leaves seem simple to me. They should be pinnate in Sapindus emarginatus (rather unsual epithet, because tree species generally have feminine ending). " from Singh ji.

"  It looks like Manilkara hexandra [Mimusops hexandra] locally called Khirni / Rayan" from Neil ji.

"Hi, could it be Calophyllum inophyllum? (Alexandrian laurel; Surpan; Punnai) a common avenue tree espl in coastal towns. The glossy leaves have parallel venation." from Vijayasankar ji.

"Is there any chance of Barringtonia acutanguala..?" from Parjanya ji.

Nov 26, 2009, 9:04:49 AM11/26/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Padmini Raghavan
Calophyllum inophyllum for sure, Undi as it is called in Marathi, yields medicinal oil.

-Swapna

Dr. Swapna Prabhu
Systematic Botanist/ Taxonomist
Bombay Natural History Society