Cochlospermum religiosum (L.) -Yellow silk cotton tree

rashida atthar

Jan 16, 2010, 11:02:21 PM1/16/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Wish everyone a very happy and healthy new year 2010.

Here are a few January bloooms from Mumbai. One of the few yellow silk cotton trees flowering before time? at the south end of the national park in Mumbai. Pictures taken on 16 Jan.'10. I think early because in the book  'Trees of Mumbai' by Almeida & Chaturvedi mentions on pg 203: "The buds start appearing in small clusters at the beginning of February and March". Perhaps needs to be verifed with other trees too.

regards,
Rashida.

http://windows.microsoft.com/shop Find the right PC for you.
Cochlospermum religiosum.JPG
Cochlospermum religiosum blooming branches.JPG
cochlospermum flowers strewn on ground.JPG
Cochlospermum religiosum calyx petals sepals.JPG
Cochlospermum religiosum cluster of stamens in open flower.JPG
Cochlospermum religiosum golden yellow blooms.JPG

Neil Soares

Jan 17, 2010, 1:04:14 PM1/17/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi,
 My Yellow Silk Cotton tree was also flowering. It was planted in 1996 and first flowered in Feb.2001. My records show that it also flowered in Jan.06 and Jan.07. Sending a few photographs.
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.

--- On Sun, 1/17/10, rashida atthar <rashid...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Yellow Silk Cotton tree.jpg
Yellow Silk Cotton flowers 1.jpg
Yellow Silk Cotton flowers 2.jpg

shubhada nikharge

Jan 17, 2010, 2:32:27 PM1/17/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi Rashida and Neil,
I have also seen flowering of Yellow silk cotton in Jan 09 in BPT garden (Mumbai), Flowering and Fruiting in Feb 09 in Shahapur.
I have also seen this tree in full bloom when it was leafless as well as with thick green foliage.
Attached few pics of this tree along with fruits seen in the 1st week of Feb in Shahapur..
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Jan 18, 2010, 1:05:02 AM1/18/10
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Thanks for the info. may I ask what happened in '08 & '09? was  the flowering later? Thanks. Also attached a pic from Sangeeta's farm at Shahpur  as Shubhada has reminded me by her pics, we saw these  on 1st Feb '09. fruiting & flowering.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:04:14 -0800
From: drneil...@yahoo.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com; wildflo...@yahoogroups.com

Cochlospermum religiosum flowers and pods.JPG

rashida atthar

Jan 18, 2010, 1:08:38 AM1/18/10
to shubhada...@yahoo.co.in, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Thanks Shubhada for the beautiful pics. I have sent a pic in a separate mail of the same seen on Sangeeta's farm at Shahpur in Feb '09. I think we can safely conclude that in Mumbai and around most of the Cochlospermum religiosum trees flowering is from early Jan maybe even Dec and by Feb some have already started fruiting.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 01:02:27 +0530
From: shubhada...@yahoo.co.in
To: drneil...@yahoo.com; indian...@googlegroups.com; wildflo...@yahoogroups.com

Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.

Neil Soares

Jan 18, 2010, 2:17:37 AM1/18/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com, rashida atthar
Hi,
 According to my records it flowered from Jan-Feb 07, Feb 08, Feb-Mar 09 and again flower buds were seen on the tree towards the end of December 09. Sending a few photographs taken on 27th Dec 09.
                 With regards,
                   Neil Soares.

[...]

Yellow Silk Cotton tree with buds 1 - Dec 09.jpg
Yellow Silk Cotton tree with buds 2.jpg
Yellow Silk Cotton tree with buds 3.jpg

rashida atthar

Jan 18, 2010, 7:26:24 AM1/18/10
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Thanks for the info. Its quite interesting particularly the '09 flowering.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:17:37 -0800
From: drneil...@yahoo.com