[efloraofindia:35073] Cobretaceae member for ID

Satish Phadke

May 17, 2010, 12:00:12 PM5/17/10
to indiantreepix
There are many of these trees in Mahabaleshwar. I am always in doubt whether they are Hirda हिरडा (Terminalia chebula) or Beheda बेहेडा (Terminalia bellerica)?
If you happen to visit Kate's point in Jun before reaching the final point there is a large area on the left side where one can find many good botanical specimens. These trees are abundant there. I have often found Aerides orchids flowering on these in Jun.
Please help me in for ID.
Dr Phadke

DSCN0689s.jpg
DSCN0693s.jpg

tanay bose

May 17, 2010, 12:01:58 PM5/17/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Is ir Terminalia bellerica
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Nayan Singh

May 17, 2010, 12:11:58 PM5/17/10
to tanay bose, indiantreepix
Dear Satish ji and Tanay ji
to me this plant looks like Terminalia chebula
Thanks
Nayan
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

May 17, 2010, 12:14:57 PM5/17/10
to tanay bose, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
My experience and Pradip Kishen Trees of Delhi says that if you will confuse between any two trees in leaves then they are Baheda (Terminalia bellerica) and Mahua (Madhuca longifolia var. latifolia). Last weeb I had uploaded photos of T. chebula. I am uploading those of T. bellerica for comparison.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

May 17, 2010, 1:38:50 PM5/17/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
... me too believe Satish ji's plant to be T. chebula.

Similar view from Koraigad attached.

Regards.
3496496138_5bc0730894_b.jpg

Rashida Atthar

May 18, 2010, 6:42:37 AM5/18/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Certainly Terminalia chebula Retz.  One of the man distinguishing  characteristics is the presence of two glands in the front base  of the leaf  or the  beginning of petiole.

Also there is supposed to be a rarer form of  T. chebula seen at Mahabaleshwar according to Dr. Almeida's Flora. This one is Terminalia chebula Retz. var. tomentella(Kurz) Clarke.Tthe description is as follows : "Leaves when young densely coppery- pubescent beneath, when adult pubescent or glabrous beneath. Young ovary glabrous. Fruit ovoid, hardly 2.5 cm long. Flowers : April -June. Distribution: Mahabaleshwar (Rare)."

regards,
Rashida.