[efloraofindia:34303] ID guess-080510-PKA3

Prashant awale

May 8, 2010, 2:12:03 PM5/8/10
to indiantreepix
Dear friends,
Today i had come across a tree at Ranibaug, Mumbai. Tree was in full bloom but too far. I could not get good close ups. Sending some long shots.

Date/Time: 08-05-2010 / 06:00PM
Location: Ranibaug (Veer Jijamata Udyan) Mumbai
Habitat: Garden?
Plant Habit: Tree, 3 to 4 m.

Any guesses for ID?

regards
Prashant

IMG_6873.jpg
IMG_6894.jpg
IMG_6887.jpg
IMG_6880.jpg
IMG_6885.jpg
IMG_6896.jpg

tanay bose

May 8, 2010, 11:10:34 PM5/8/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prasant ji,
is this tree vernonia [Vernonia arborea]?/
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Satish Phadke

May 9, 2010, 5:31:04 AM5/9/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
I think it may be Dalbergia lanceolaria which is common in Maharashtra and flowering at present. The characteristic pods are protruding through the inflorescence.
Dr Phadke

Dinesh Valke

May 9, 2010, 5:38:48 AM5/9/10
to Satish Phadke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prashant ... me too believe it to be Dalbergia lanceolaria ... had been to VJBU today morning (Tree Appreciation Walk with Katie ji and Renee ji) ... will post the photos later.
Regards.

Prashant awale

May 9, 2010, 6:34:31 AM5/9/10
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks Dinesh ji, Satish ji. I too feel it is Dalbergia lanceolaria.
regards
Prashanr