130209 GI On Ipomea and morning glory

Padmanabhan Geetha

Feb 12, 2009, 8:47:03 PM2/12/09
to indiantreepix Indian
Dear Experts

Dear Friends
Kindly confirm whether i have identified these Ipomeas and the morning glory correctly. I have used the Treepix database as well as Shri Dinesh Valke's photos on Flickr.
I campanulata and I  loncophyla have been photographed at a campus near Velliangiri Hills, Coimbatore this month.
I campanulata seems like a horticultural one as unlike others growing wild this was being tended to and carefully grown along with other plants on either side of a path.

The I marginata and Xenostegia tridentata have been photographed at Suchindrum, Kanyakumari dist, Tamilnadu ( backyard of my house).

The leaves and plant profile  of I marginata and I loncophyla are similar and so i was wondering whether they are indeed two species or genetic variants of a single specie?

best wishes
geetha
Is this Ipomoea loncophyla.jpg
Is this Ipomoea marginata.jpg
Ipomea campanulata.jpg
Arrow-leaf Morning Glory (Xenostegia tridentata).jpg

Padmanabhan Geetha

Feb 13, 2009, 12:09:32 AM2/13/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Dinesh ji
Confining myself to Ipomea campanulata

The information for  Ipomea campanulata -
1. i have taken from those urls i found given by Garg ji for the tiny Ipomea  and one of them was a website which had several images.
2. The leaves i saw in your photos for campanulata looked the same.
But i too have a small doubt because the plant i have put as I campanulata appeared to be a horticultural variety and not groing wild

Going through the net i found a similar one- claimed to be a horticultural variety, trailing plant used as a ground cover. The one i photographed was also on the ground trailing and covering the soil -could it be Ipomoea batatas 'Marguerite'?

This site ( url given below) has a lot of Ipomea images and the I batata 'Marguerite' may be what  i am looking for.
http://www.picsearch.com/pictures/plants/garden%20plants/plants%20hoo-k/ipomoea.html
Would love to hear your views.
I have attached one other image of this contentious Ipomea.
best wishes
geetha

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
... I have doubts about what is put as Ipomea campanulata ... I do not see those beautiful lobes.
presently confused ... not able to guess what it could be.

I agree with I. marginata ... others I have not come across.

Regards.
I campanulata.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 13, 2009, 12:17:41 AM2/13/09
to Padmanabhan Geetha, indiantreepix Indian
... yes, your belief is truth !!!!
I also see the colours and their distribution certainly conforming to I. campanulata !!

Dinesh Valke