Piper longum from Herbal Garden Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 8, 2009, 11:36:41 AM9/8/09
to Indiantrees
Sending Piper longum, growing in Herbal Garden Delhi
Please validate.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45
Piper-longum-2.jpg
Piper-longum-1.jpg

JANAKI TURAGA

Sep 8, 2009, 11:48:28 AM9/8/09
to Gurcharan Singh, treepix Indian
Gurcharanji,
Would appreciate if you could also post the other Pipers.
Some months ago, there was confusion about Piper longum and Piper cubeba species.
The range and distributio and the uses was and is not much known about these species.
If you can share any information about these it would be very helpful.
Thanks
Kind Regards
Janaki Turaga

santhosh kumar es

Sep 8, 2009, 12:30:04 PM9/8/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, Gurcharan Singh, treepix Indian
I dont think Piper longum and P cubeba are confusing. These two are quite distinct species. But P.longum and P.hapnium are very confusing. The later is a climbing shrub.

Santhosh

2009/9/8 JANAKI TURAGA <janaki...@gmail.com>
--
SANTHOSH
-----------------------------------

Dr. E S SANTHOSH KUMAR
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala, India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com
 Please consider your environmental responsibility:Before printing this e-mail, ask yourself whether you need a hard copy!

JANAKI TURAGA

Sep 8, 2009, 12:32:11 PM9/8/09
to treepix Indian
I have put the earlier mail back into circulation. Kindly see that. Your inputs would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Janaki Turaga

JANAKI TURAGA

Sep 8, 2009, 12:36:58 PM9/8/09
to treepix Indian
it should have come through
i will wait for some time and then re-circulate it
Janaki Turaga

On 9/8/09, santhosh kumar es <santhos...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like to see the post.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 9, 2009, 6:43:51 AM9/9/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
Dear members
I am still not able guess what made Janaki Turaga so excited about mail, to send mail again and again. If there is any previous interaction responsible for this, let me share this excitement.

Any how as promised yesterday I had critical look at the specimens I had photographed yesterday, studied specimens again, and am happy to announce that as for I am concerned, my plant is Piper longum. As a final check I asked the gardeners about its name. They said it is Pipli, piplamul, a name that goes with P. longum only. Here is the information I collected the 4 species considered in the mails on this thread.

Of the four species P. nigrum belongs to section Eupiper; P. longum and P. hapnium Ham. to section Chavia; and P. cubeba to section Cubeba and are differentiated as under

Section Cubeba: Spikes solitary; fls dioecious; female bract peltate; fruit with a long stalk- P. cubeba belongs here- climbing; stem round; leaves ovate oblong, acuminate, 4-6.5 cm long, 1.5-2 cm long; berry with long stalk.- obviously not my plant.

Section Eupiper: Spikes solitary; fl dioicios or polgamous; fruit sessile, forming interrupted spikes; bracts and bracteoles adnate to axis- P. nigrum belongs here-Glabrous climbing and rooting plants; leaves coriaceous, ovate oblong; petiole 1.2-4 cm; leaf blade rounded and oblique at base, sometimes cordate; nerves 5-9 (2 pairs near base, more higher); spike variable in length; leaf width upto 2/3 0f length, which again varies; bracts wholly adnate without raised margins- again not our plant.

Section Chavica: Spikes solitary; fls dioiecious; female bracts orbicular, peltate; fruit sessile, in cylindric or globose spikes. P. hapnium and P. longum belong here.
P. hapnium is hoary plant, has stout warted branches; petiole 8-12 mm long; leaves oblong-lanceolate, 6-10 cm long, 4-5 cm broad, 7-nerved, leaves usually pubescent beneath, older leaves rugose; peduncles longer than leaves- it does not match our plant.
P. longum is glabrous creeping plant, branches angular; lower leaves with 2.5-7 cm long petiole; bladeovate-cordate, acuminate, 5-9 cm long, almost as broad; upper leaves sessile and amplexicaul, narrower. female spike 1.2-2 cm.

In our plant Creeping habit, 4-angled stems, lower leaves with nearly 6-7 cm long petiole (not in any other of 3 species), lower leaves almost as broad as long; upper leaves sessile and amplexicaul; leaves not coriaceous all match with  P. longum
Comments are welcome. If there is any doubt, I can still verfy.

Frankly speaking I have experience with this large genus, I saw and photographed it only yesterday, and today I went to the University Library to check things.

Thanks Janaki for activating me.I learnt a lot.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

JANAKI TURAGA

Sep 9, 2009, 7:42:02 AM9/9/09
to treepix Indian

Dear Gurcharan,
Thanks for sharing this information.
The mail was sent again-only because it had not yet appeared in my inbox- until Gargji very kindly told me that the mail had come through.
Can we say that the first picture sent in by Prashant is Piper longum?
Can the identity of the second picture be established?
Looking forward to hearing from you
Kind Regards
Janaki Turaga

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 9, 2009, 7:45:05 AM9/9/09
to Gurcharan Singh, JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
Uploading more photos to reinforce identification of Piper longum. One has lower leaves with long petiole.
Piper-longum-4.jpg
Piper-longum-3.jpg

Prashant awale

Sep 9, 2009, 12:52:08 PM9/9/09
to Gurcharan Singh, JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
Dear Gurcharan ji,
Thanks to Janaki Ji and you for this discussion. I came across a Piper Sp. at Sohra Forest (near Nonegrat Village) in Meghalaya (November08). This one to me looked like a Climber. I am forwarding the 2 photographs.. Do have a look..

Thanks & best wishes,
Prashant.
Piper-ITP_990.JPG
Piper-ITP-991.JPG