hibiscus id Options

4 views
Skip to first unread message

Devendra Bhardwaj

unread,
Sep 14, 2009, 8:56:53 PM9/14/09
to indiantreepix, rakesh...@gmail.com, yazdy...@gmail.com, sin...@sify.com, abrp...@gmail.com

 

Forwarding again for observations on this Hibiscus pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:  

 

 Yes the white ones are quite common (also in our garden) and sometimes we
have found them turning pink (like one of your two flowers) and sometimes a
combination (attached).
I was unable to explain this phenomenon and had asked for help here earlier.
rakesh

Hi Rakesh,
They look beautiful. I think it must be a rare plant grown out of
seeds that were accidentally pollinated by beas.
Regards
Yazdy.

Thanks Yazdy and Max.
I have seen this phenomenon occuring with other plants having white hibisci
although perhaps in them they appear consistently but in mine they appear
randomly
once in 6 months or one year.
This random appearance after a prolonged absence makes it all the more
curious. So to quote Max, is it getting infected by a virus from time to
time?
rakesh
Streaks or patches like this in flower colour are often caused by a virus. I used to grow carnations for sale and if my stocks got infected with a virus, the orange or yellow blooms would have streaks of red. Apparently this comes from a red ancestor and the virus activates dormant genes.
Max
Yes the white ones are quite common (also in our garden) and sometimes we have found them turning pink (like one of your two flowers) and sometimes a combination (attached).
I was unable to explain this phenomenon and had asked for help here earlier.
rakesh

This could be because of Chimera.

Naresh Pancholi

would request all who have sent their observations on this Hibiscus
species: to look at the size of leaves, the dentation of leaves, colour of
leaves, habit of the plant, size of stipules, petiole length, peduncle
length. These are being neglected while commenting on this plant and every
one is just talking about flower colour.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh



See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.
flower change 1.jpg

MAX OVERTON

unread,
Sep 14, 2009, 9:51:05 PM9/14/09
to devendra...@yahoo.com, Indian tree pics, Rakesh Biswas, yazdy...@gmail.com, sin...@sify.com, abrp...@gmail.com
Happens in tulips too (from Encyclopaedia Brittanica)...
 
Generally, solid-coloured tulips are spoken of as “self-coloured,” while streaked blossoms are called “broken.” The phenomenon of colour streaks in tulips is due to a harmless virus infection that causes the self colour to disappear in certain zonal patterns, leaving the flower’s white or yellow underlying colour to show through in irregular streaks.
 
Max
 


Novels by Max and/or Ariana Overton http://www.maxoverton.com  

The Lion of Scythia Trilogy (Lion of Scythia, The Golden King, Funeral in Babylon) - EPPIE winners 2005 and 2006; The Glass House Trilogy (Glass House, A Glass Darkly, Looking Glass) - Eppie finalists; A Cry of Shadows, The Devil is in the Details,  Trapdoor, Tapestry,  Scarab - Akhenaten (Book 1 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Smenkhkare (Book 2 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Tutankhamen (Book 3 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Ay (Book 4 of the Amarnan Kings), Rakshasa, Glass Continuum, Ascension 
Works in Progress: Djinn, Scarab - Horemheb (Book 5 of the Amarnan Kings), Sequestered


Also check out http://julesphotographiccreations.blogspot.com/




 

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:26:53 +0530
From: devendra...@yahoo.com
Subject: [indiantreepix:18366] hibiscus id Options
To: indian...@googlegroups.com
CC: rakesh...@gmail.com; yazdy...@gmail.com; sin...@sify.com; abrp...@gmail.com

Pardeshi S.

unread,
Sep 15, 2009, 3:26:38 AM9/15/09
to indiantreepix
I have observed this in Bougainvilla species too.
satish Pardeshi

On Sep 15, 6:51 am, MAX OVERTON <maxover...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Happens in tulips too (from Encyclopaedia Brittanica)...
>
> Generally, solid-coloured tulips are spoken of as “self-coloured,” while streaked blossoms are called “broken.” The phenomenon of colour streaks in tulips is due to a harmless virus infection that causes the self colour to disappear in certain zonal patterns, leaving the flower’s white or yellow underlying colour to show through in irregular streaks.
>
> Max
>
> Novels by Max and/or Ariana Overtonhttp://www.maxoverton.com 
>
> The Lion of Scythia Trilogy (Lion of Scythia, The Golden King, Funeral in Babylon) - EPPIE winners 2005 and 2006; The Glass House Trilogy (Glass House, A Glass Darkly, Looking Glass) - Eppie finalists; A Cry of Shadows, The Devil is in the Details,  Trapdoor, Tapestry,  Scarab - Akhenaten (Book 1 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Smenkhkare (Book 2 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Tutankhamen (Book 3 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Ay (Book 4 of the Amarnan Kings), Rakshasa, Glass Continuum, Ascension
> Works in Progress: Djinn, Scarab - Horemheb (Book 5 of the Amarnan Kings), Sequestered
>
> Also check outhttp://julesphotographiccreations.blogspot.com/
>
> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:26:53 +0530
> From: devendra_bhard...@yahoo.com
> Subject: [indiantreepix:18366] hibiscus id Options
> To: indian...@googlegroups.com
> CC: rakesh7bis...@gmail.com; yazdypa...@gmail.com; sin...@sify.com; abrpa...@gmail.com

Madhuri Pejaver

unread,
Sep 15, 2009, 8:22:56 AM9/15/09
to indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj, rakesh...@gmail.com, yazdy...@gmail.com, sin...@sify.com, abrp...@gmail.com
Dear all,
Related to this colour changes i will like to put forth one thought.
According to me it the somatic mutation. Mutations are the one which appear suddenly without any clue in previous generation.
If these mutations occur in gametes then they carried forward in future generations but if thy occur in somatic cells then are seen in only those organisms.
If some changes occur while the flower bud is getting formed, part of the flower gets the chromosomes with genes producing the original colour say white, while other portion may get the chromosomes with genes producing pink colour. When the flower opens the colours will be seen accordingly as partly pink and partly white.
Since this is somatic mutation it will not be passed on further, and ends with that flower.
In cross fertilization if the pollen grain from plant bearing yellow flower, fertilizes the ovule from the plant bearing magenta flower we may get the flower with yellow and magenta colour. This is very commonly seen in 4 o clock plant Mirabilis jalapa. You can see many many mixtures of colour shades.
In animals if this happens we sometimes get gynandromorphs, where half side will be male and half female.
For example in clover butterflies female has white colour wings and male yellow colour. In gynander we can see white wings on one side of the body and yellow on other. of course this is the example of chromosomal abberation.
This phenomenon is known as moseisisum.
Experts please varify.
Madhuri
On Tue, 15/9/09, Devendra Bhardwaj <devendra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Devendra Bhardwaj <devendra...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [indiantreepix:18366] hibiscus id Options
> See the Web's breaking stories,
> chosen by people like you. Check out
> Yahoo! Buzz
>
> >
>
>
>


Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket.yahoo.com
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages