ID Request - from Kolkata

Sushmita Jha

Mar 11, 2009, 3:07:50 AM3/11/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all,
I picked up these flowers from under a different looking silk cotton tree. The flowers smelt like that of a banana flower.
Didnt have my camera to take a picture of the tree but the conical fruits hang in plenty and Kolkata is full of these trees.
Would appreciate ID help.
Thanks.
Sushmita Jha
ID Flower-Kolkata.jpg
IDFlower2-Kolkata.jpg

Barry Stock

Mar 11, 2009, 10:50:28 AM3/11/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
These are flowers of Ceiba pentandra, the Kapok tree.

-bs
> <ID Flower-Kolkata.jpg><IDFlower2-Kolkata.jpg>

satish phadke

Mar 12, 2009, 11:01:27 AM3/12/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Appears to be Ceiba pentandra. The flowers have dried so the colour change from white to brownish.Anthers  appear similar.Adding snap from my collection.
Satish

2009/3/11 Sushmita Jha <sushmi...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Ceiba pentandra.jpg

Barry Stock

Mar 12, 2009, 11:28:12 AM3/12/09
to satish phadke, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Yes, definitely Ceiba pentandra.

From my own trees:

Barry Stock
Hollywood, Florida, USA