North Bengal Fruit - ID Request 3 - 18Jun09:SJ

Sushmita Jha

Jun 18, 2009, 8:39:56 AM6/18/09
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Photographed during my North Bengal trip last Sept/Oct. I believe this is quite prevalent in the North East also and if I recall correctly, in my childhood when my parents had stopped the car to have a picnic lunch during a road journey from Delhi to Jorhat, I ran into the forest side and plucked one of these fruits (which was fully ripe and therefore bright red) and I remember loosing the sensation in my right had for about a month. Is anyone aware of this fruit causing this symptom? Also, an ID would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Sushmita Jha
Wild fruit.jpg

Sushmita Jha

Jun 18, 2009, 11:33:14 AM6/18/09
to Meena Subramaniam, indiantreepix
Thank you very much for your help, Meena.
Sushmita Jha

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Meena Subramaniam <koda...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
The fruit of Arisaema spp. or an Aroid( aroidaceae) for sure.

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:08:48 +0530 wrote

sibdas

Jun 19, 2009, 11:17:08 AM6/19/09
to indiantreepix
It is a composite fruit of an aroid, but umlikely an Arisaema, which
grows at an higher altitude not in Duars of N.Bengal.

On Jun 18, 8:33 pm, Sushmita Jha <sushmitas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your help, Meena.
> Sushmita Jha
>
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Meena Subramaniam <kodaif...@rediffmail.com
>

> > wrote:
> > The fruit of Arisaema spp. or an Aroid( aroidaceae) for sure.
>
> > On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:08:48 +0530 wrote
> > >Dear all,
> > >Photographed during my North Bengal trip last Sept/Oct. I believe this is
> > >quite prevalent in the North East also and if I recall correctly, in my
> > >childhood when my parents had stopped the car to have a picnic lunch
> > during
> > >a road journey from Delhi to Jorhat, I ran into the forest side and
> > plucked
> > >one of these fruits (which was fully ripe and therefore bright red) and I
> > >remember loosing the sensation in my right had for about a month. Is
> > anyone
> > >aware of this fruit causing this symptom? Also, an ID would be much
> > >appreciated.
> > >Thanks.
> > >Sushmita Jha
>
> > <http://sigads.rediff.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/www.rediffmail.co...>- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Jul 7, 2009, 10:18:37 AM7/7/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Forwarding again for Id help pl.
I remember seen something like this on the group earlier but unable to recall now.

2009/6/18 Sushmita Jha <sushmi...@gmail.com>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Sushmita Jha

Jul 7, 2009, 10:25:43 AM7/7/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Garg-ji,
Thank you for reminding the group for the ID of this fruit.  It was ID-ed as Arisaema spp.or an Aroid (aroidaceae).
Sushmita Jha

J.M. Garg

Jul 8, 2009, 9:29:01 AM7/8/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Is this earlier Indiantreepix link on Arisaema tortuosum spadix is of any use?

To me these look quite similar.

Mahendra Prasad

Aug 9, 2009, 5:48:38 AM8/9/09
to Sushmita Jha, Meena Subramaniam, indiantreepix
Sushmita, your description of the fruit of Arisaemas and Meena, your ID of the plant reminded me when as a young boy,  only 7 yrs ,  I had come across a similar plant around the Nainital Lake when we visited the hill-station sometime in Sept-Oct. The bright orange to red fruits with the dark green leaves in the shade attracted my attention and I wanted to pluck it. A local guide told my father it was poisonous, who then forbade me to even touch it. More than 50 yrs later I came across something similar when Haldi ( Turmeric/Curcuma longa, Order Zingiberales ) planted in our garden produced similar coloured fruits  a few years ago. Here is a link for more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arisaema , & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcuma_longa,