Arisaema griffithii Schott

Saroj Kasaju

Jul 30, 2023, 4:24:11 AM7/30/23

Date: 31 May 2023

Jul 30, 2023, 4:24:45 AM7/30/23

On Sun, Jul 30, 2023 at 2:09 PM Saroj Kasaju <kasaj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jul 30, 2023, 4:24:53 AM7/30/23

Jul 30, 2023, 4:25:16 AM7/30/23

Jul 30, 2023, 4:25:37 AM7/30/23

Saroj Kasaju

Jul 30, 2023, 4:25:46 AM7/30/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC04098.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Jul 30, 2023, 4:26:51 AM7/30/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
Nepali Name : ढोकायो साग Dhkaayo Saag

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Aug 11, 2023, 2:17:57 AM8/11/23
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Also appears close to images at
https://efloraofindia.com/2011/02/07/arisaema-propinquum/
Pl. check.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Aug 11, 2023, 2:52:12 AM8/11/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Pascal Bruggeman
Yes Mr. Garg ! Both look similar but the only difference is the patches on the stem(Stalk).
https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/my0RGqroD_k/m/aEqUt8mKAwAJ
Let us wait for the opinion from Dr. Bruggeman.
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju
DSC04095 rs.jpg
DSC04094 rs.jpg
DSC04092 rs.jpg
DSC04096 rs.jpg
DSC04097 rs.jpg
DSC04098 rs.jpg

Pascal Bruggeman

Aug 11, 2023, 6:49:50 AM8/11/23
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, J.M. Garg

There is often confusion between propinquum and griffithii. Are the narrow forms of griffthii perhaps propinquum or not etc... The stem markings are of less concern in this discussion however. Looking at the description of propinquum and the plants still growing at the type locality the ones closest to propinquum have a narrow spathe, often flower before the leaves are fully unfurled and have a short appendix like this:

My personal view is that most of the narrower forms of griffithii still fall in the griffithii complex and are not true propinquum.  The one Saroj is showing I would call griffithii. Which means the "typical" griffithii we see as this species is just the broad variant within the wide variation of the group. I have studied large groups of this complex in Nepal and Sikkim and quite often the variation in peduncle length, width of the spathe, length of the appendix and even color and pattern is quite large. Anyone familiar with the populations in N Sikkim around Lachung have seen that the higher into the valley one goes, the smaller the plants get and the narrower the spathes. I am aware it is a highly personal solution to the wide variation in this group that does conflict with some of the literature, but it is impossible in my view to artifically limit the names based on the width of the spathe or any other character that varies within populations. Instead I prefer to limit the name propinquum to a specific character combination in the form I just show and all other forms in the variation of what I artificially call the griffithii complex. In my view there are only 2 other nodes in the variation that can be identified by a specific set of characters: the rare vexillatum and ostiolatum (Shingallila Rodge).

Pascal

J.M. Garg

Aug 11, 2023, 7:14:06 AM8/11/23
to Pascal Bruggeman, Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia
Thanks a lot, Pascal ji
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Aug 11, 2023, 8:56:31 AM8/11/23
to J.M. Garg, Pascal Bruggeman, efloraindia

Thank you Dr. Bruggeman !

Saroj Kasaju