hi

Mrs Rathore

Dec 21, 2009, 3:40:41 AM12/21/09
to indiantreepix
Hello to one and all.

Please can some one tell me the name of the sarson ka saag we eat. The
valid name. n also if anyone knows what is bastik saag? i know it is
one of the Brassica species, but which???

Thanks n regards

Dinesh Valke

Dec 21, 2009, 4:02:38 AM12/21/09
to Mrs Rathore, indiantreepix
... Brassica juncea ... commonly known as: brown mustard, Indian mustard, leaf mustard • Assamese: jatilai • Bengali: সর্ষপ sarsapa • Hindi: सर्षप sarshap, सरसों sarson • Kannada: ಸಾಸಿವೆ saasive, ಸರ್ಷಪ sarshapa • Kashmiri: सर्शफ् sarshaph • Konkani: सास्सम sassama • Malayalam: സര്‍ഷപം sarshapam • Manipuri: hangam • Marathi: मोहरी mohari, राई rai • Sanskrit: राजिका rajika, सर्षप sarshapa • Tamil: கடுகு katuku • Telugu: సర్షపము sarsapamu, సాసువులు sasuvulu • Urdu: سرشف sarshaf

 • http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Mustard.html
 • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_seed

Identical query from Nanu Rathore and Mrs Rathore; do both names refer to one person ?

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 22, 2009, 8:51:35 AM12/22/09
to Dinesh Valke, Mrs Rathore, indiantreepix
Dinesh ji
There were two questions by Mrs. Rathore. Your answer refers to which one? I am asking this because there is lot of confusion in taxonomy of Brassica, and so many cultivars. In Delhi we get two types of sarson: the Desi sarson with greener hairy leaves, somewhat bitter in taste, and Gobhi Sarson with light green glaucous and glabrous, not biiter in taste.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Dec 22, 2009, 10:56:12 AM12/22/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Mrs Rathore, indiantreepix
Gurcharan ji,
Did search bastik saag ... internet did not yield any positive search results ... thus missed inadvertently responding to the latter question of Mrs. Rathore ji.

When it comes to cultivars, I am a zero ..! ...requesting Brassica juncea be validated in context of queries posted in this thread ... did not know sarson (of sarson ka saag) would mean more than one species ... many many thanks for enlightenment, Gurcharan ji.

Sincerely hoping IndianTreePix gets enthusiastic, confident horticulturists and farmers ... much of the flora reaching the kitchen ... in practical sense, the most common flora would get its share of botanical focus.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 22, 2009, 11:41:13 AM12/22/09
to Dinesh Valke, Mrs Rathore, indiantreepix
Brassica species have been confusing me for quite some time. Broadly speaking sarson should be rotating between B. rapa, B. napus and B. juncea.

With flowering season for next two to three months, I suggest we start uploading the photographs of this group to have a good collection of photographs and understand the diversity. We should be looking for photographs of toria, sarson, turnip, rai and black rai. Features worth noting are whether upper leaves are clasping or not, colour of leaves, hairy or not, colour of petals, size of petals,  number of fruit chambers, length of fruiting pedicel, fruit body and beak.
         Let us have operation Brassica in coming few months.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Dec 22, 2009, 9:32:20 PM12/22/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Mrs Rathore, indiantreepix
Thank you very much, Gurcharan ji for the initiative on Brassica.
Will post photos on getting them.
Regards.