Fwd: Dehsicent capsule for identification

J.M. Garg

Jun 16, 2010, 3:20:19 AM6/16/10
to efloraofindia, Dr. M. K. Pathak, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Pravir, rites...@gmail.com, Tabish

Forwarding for Id assistance please.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dr. M. K. Pathak <mithi...@yahoo.com>
Date: 16 June 2010 12:38
Subject: Dehsicent capsule for identification
To: "Dr. J.M. Garg" <jmg...@gmail.com>
Cc: "Dr. Gurcharan Singh" <sing...@gmail.com>

Recently I have received a capsule (dehisced) for identification.
Only a brief information is available regarding this as,
Place of Collection North Bengal. Collected by locals and sold locally for ornamental purpose.
Relevant information: does not match with the pods of Mahogni or Bombax.
Pl. help me in this regard
Mithilesh K. Pathak

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Dehiscent capsule for identification.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 16, 2010, 10:31:25 AM6/16/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dr. M. K. Pathak, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Pravir, rites...@gmail.com, Tabish
This should be a member of Meliaceae only. There are two species in Mahagony group, Swietenia mahagony and S. macrophylla planted in India (not occur in wild here). The fruit may belong to the latter species, if not matching to the former one. http://www.arkive.org/media/8B/8B80EAD3-D342-458A-A125-3DE01E8354B8/Presentation.Large/photo.jpg

Pl check this link for S. macrophylla, too http://botany.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/dcs420/cr/hdw160399es.jpg
Also pl check it for Soymida febrifuga.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

J.M. Garg

Jun 17, 2010, 5:18:33 AM6/17/10
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr. M. K. Pathak, Ayyappan
A reply:
"Dear Colleague,
Could be Lophopetalum wightianum Arn. of CELASTRACEAE
refer: http://biotik.org/india/species/l/lophwigh/lophwigh_en.html for
further details
with regards
ayyappan, N."

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 17, 2010, 10:07:39 AM6/17/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dr. M. K. Pathak, Ayyappan
Thanks Dr. Ayyappan, for the id. I think you are correct!
As the photo shows 5 halves, i thought they are from a singe, 5-valved capsule, thus mistook to Meliaceae member.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

J.M. Garg

Jun 29, 2010, 4:37:41 AM6/29/10
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr. M. K. Pathak, Ayyappan
A reply from Dr. Pathak:
"Dr. Ayyappan Ji
Pl. accept my heaty thanks for kindly identifying the capsule of Lophopetalum wightianum Arn.
with best wishes"