Request for ID

Prashant awale

May 9, 2009, 8:34:13 AM5/9/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

I came across this one on the way to "Kalsubai" (May-2008). ID please??

Thanks & best wishes
Prashant..
kalsubai-unid-1.JPG

Neil Soares

May 9, 2009, 8:49:26 AM5/9/09
to Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Prashant,
       They are the fruit of Casearia esculenta locally called Kirmira or Kulkulta.
                           With regards,
                             Neil Soares.

J.M. Garg

May 9, 2009, 10:10:14 AM5/9/09
to Neil Soares, Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Neil ji.

More details from Indiantreepix Database:

2009/5/9 Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Prashant awale

May 9, 2009, 11:56:07 AM5/9/09
to J.M. Garg, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Neil ji, Garg ji.

Tabish

May 9, 2009, 2:53:37 PM5/9/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Neil,
I got confused trying to understand this one. I could not find
description of Casearia esculenta in any book. This link (I won't bet
my money on its relaibility)
http://www.ayushveda.com/herbs/casearia-esculenta.htm
says that the fruits are spherical and red in color when ripe.
On the other hand, Casearia graveolens is descibed at Flora of
China site as having "Capsule orange-yellow when ripe, dark reddish or
blackish brown and strongly longitudinally ribbed when dried,
ellipsoid-oblong, ca. 2 cm, fleshy..."
Any comments on this?
- Tabish

On May 9, 5:49 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Prashant,
>        They are the fruit of Casearia esculenta locally called Kirmira or Kulkulta.
>                            With regards,
>                              Neil Soares.

Prashant awale

May 9, 2009, 10:53:36 PM5/9/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Dear Tabish, Neil,

Have a look at this link of "flora of eastern Ghats". It talks about both the species i.e Casearia eaculenta as well as C.graveolens.
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=pSXidQZupHYC&pg=PA83&lpg=PA83&dq=Casearia+graveolens&source=bl&ots=FcKI3AFHcs&sig=ihKZ8ABft6q6IYRJ5mB7f3ACPVM&hl=en&ei=UD8GSsTIJKTk6gPNpv2bAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9#PPA83,M1

It indicates that for C.graveolens, the capsule is ellipsoid / sub-globuse where as for C. esculenta it mentions as only ellipsoid, orange as earlier indicated by Neil.

Best wishes
Prashant..

Tabish

May 10, 2009, 12:46:19 AM5/10/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Prashant,
Thanks for for the book reference, something I was desperately
looking for. It was a sight for sore eyes!
Looking at this, I feel that your plant is probably Casearia
graveolens.
Casearia graveolens is supposed to have broadly elliptic leaves and
yellow ellipsoid fruit, which agrees with your picture.
Casearia esculenta is supposed to have narrowly elliptic-lanceshaped
leaves and ellipsoid *orange* fruit. Both of these feature don't agree
well with your picture.
I would like others to present their opinion on this.
Best wishes
- Tabish

On May 10, 7:53 am, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Tabish, Neil,
>
> Have a look at this link of "flora of eastern Ghats". It talks about both
> the species i.e Casearia eaculenta as well as C.graveolens.http://books.google.co.in/books?id=pSXidQZupHYC&pg=PA83&lpg=PA83&dq=C...
>
> It indicates that for C.graveolens, the capsule is ellipsoid / sub-globuse
> where as for C. esculenta it mentions as only ellipsoid, orange as earlier
> indicated by Neil.
>
> Best wishes
> Prashant..

Prashant awale

May 10, 2009, 1:13:31 AM5/10/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Dear Tabish,

I think u r right. Further flowers of Sahyadri by Srikant ji also talks of C.graveolens with capsules 2-3cm, ellipsoid, smooth, 3 valved, yellow; seeds with scarlet aril.

best wishes
Prashant..

Dinesh Valke

May 10, 2009, 1:14:00 AM5/10/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
... and I depended on Neil ji's confidence and these two:

Regards.

Tabish

May 10, 2009, 4:14:40 AM5/10/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Dinesh,
I was not able to verify the ID of
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Saptrangi.html
properly. This book describes the flowers of Casearia esculenta as
yellowish and those of Casearia graveolens as pale green. Now the
flowers in the FOI link do look pale green to me.
Me still confused. Maybe it is the confusion of synonyms...
- Tabish

On May 10, 10:14 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... and I depended on Neil ji's confidence and these two:
> 1)http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Saptrangi.html
> 2)http://www.biotik.org/india/species/c/caseovat/caseovat_en.html
>
> Regards.

Navendu

May 10, 2009, 3:34:38 PM5/10/09
to indiantreepix
looks very much like Casearia graveolens, infact this species is very
common in areas where the picture is taken.

navendu

Prashant awale

May 11, 2009, 1:46:13 AM5/11/09
to Navendu, indiantreepix