Flowers from Temple Gardens - Jasmine 2 - ID Please

25 views
Skip to first unread message

mal...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 8:42:55 AM7/15/08
to indiantreepix
Hi,

This is the second creeper. The Hindi name is the same, but is called 'Nitya Malli' in Tamil, as it flowers year long in the south. The leaves are shiny and green in colour, and the creeper itself is very hardy and needs little care. The flowers mostly have 8 or 9 petals. The flower is pure white without the pink lining on the petals found in a lot of other jasmine varieties.

Here is the link to the earlier posts on jasmine in the group:

Another Chameli:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/4b9662499bd60d67
Kunda:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/800ce685fbf5009e

Photos taken in Vrindaban, UP on 12 and 13th July 2008.

thanks,
malyada


buds&leaves_chameli_15thJuly.jpg
creeper_chameli_15thJuly.jpg
flower&bud_chameli_15thJuly.jpg

J.M. Garg

unread,
Jul 15, 2008, 10:04:20 AM7/15/08
to mal...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Jasminum flexile?

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

unread,
Jul 22, 2008, 11:07:57 AM7/22/08
to mal...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Hi, Malyada ji,
I think your Jasmine/ Nitya Malli is Jasminum multiflorum. Pl. see the links:
http://www.floridata.com/ref/J/jasm_mul.cfm , http://www.mgonlinestore.com/JMultiflorum/

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 7:34 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jasminum flexile?

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 6:12 PM, <mal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

This is the second creeper. The Hindi name is the same, but is called 'Nitya Malli' in Tamil, as it flowers year long in the south. The leaves are shiny and green in colour, and the creeper itself is very hardy and needs little care. The flowers mostly have 8 or 9 petals. The flower is pure white without the pink lining on the petals found in a lot of other jasmine varieties.

Here is the link to the earlier posts on jasmine in the group:

Another Chameli:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/4b9662499bd60d67
Kunda:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/800ce685fbf5009e

Photos taken in Vrindaban, UP on 12 and 13th July 2008.

thanks,
malyada



For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group (Indiantreepix) http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg



--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"
For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group (Indiantreepix) http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

mal...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 22, 2008, 12:14:47 PM7/22/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Hi Garg Ji,

Thanks for the reply. But I am afraid its not nitya-malli.
If you look closely at the links you have posted, then the flowers are coming out from a group of leaves. Also, the hairy thing (I dont know what its called - its probably the calyx) from which the buds come out is characteristic of a 'Kunda' shrub (jasminum pubescens).
Heres the earlier link on 'Kunda' from our group:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/800ce685fbf5009e
This looks closer to jasminum multiflorum.
If you look at the third photo I have posted, you can clearly see, the leaves end a long way before the buds or the flowers start, unlike multiflorum or pubescens, where the leaves form the base for the buds to come out.

I hope I have not confused you completely:) The flowers of multiflorum look very similar to nitya-malli, but I am sure its not the same plant.
Do let me know your views.

thanks,
malyada


The leaves of jasminum multiflorum are also closer to 'Kunda' as compared to nitya malli. I will try to get some clearer pictures of the leaves and the flowers this time when I visit Vrindaban.

J.M. Garg

unread,
Jul 22, 2008, 2:17:02 PM7/22/08
to mal...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
I think your 'Nitya Malli' in Tamil is Jasminum multiflorum, as it flowers year long. What you posted may be a different Jasmine. What about Jasminum auriculatum for your post. See the link for the pictures:http://images.google.co.in/images?hl=en&q=Jasminum%20auriculatum&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi & for details pl. see: http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/plant_wk/molle.htmhttp://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Juhi.html   

mal...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 23, 2008, 10:42:05 PM7/23/08
to Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Hi Chitra and Garg Ji,

Thanks for the replies. jasminum auriculatum is 'Juhi', which is a shrub. We had 4 of them in our garden, but only one is left now, and its currently pruned. I will have to search for other places in Vrindaban where I can find 'juhi'. Will post the photos when I can get to them.

The photo I had planted is that of a creeper. Its called 'nitya-malli' in Tamil as it flowers year long. Typically down south, the easiest way to identify a brahmin household is a nitya malli creeper on the front door. The leaves are very similar to auriculatum, but I am sure this is a different plant. Is it possible that its the same species, but grows as a vine as well as a shrub. I am sure though that the flowers of 'Juhi' are different. The buds as well as the flowers are smaller, and the number of petals is also less. Here is a link for Juhi, the way I have seen the plant in my garden:
http://images.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Juhi.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Juhi.html&h=384&w=512&sz=29&hl=en&start=11&um=1&tbnid=wEsR4huLnb5WnM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=131&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djasminum%2Bauriculatum%2Bphotos%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DX

This link is in a different language, so I could not make out much, but the first photo is that of nitya malli, and the second one is Juhi(auriculatum).
http://images.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://www.abasar.net/flowerjMuismall1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.abasar.net/FlowerjMui.htm&h=160&w=226&sz=31&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=bs4h7mGMtRuatM:&tbnh=76&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djasminum%2Bauriculatum%2Bphotos%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DX

I am now more inclined towards jasminum fluminense, here is a link. The flowers are not clear,  but the leaves are unmistakably the same plant  I am seeking id for.  My only issue is that I do not which source to trust on the net and which not. Anyways, here is the link:
http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/images/thumbnails/html/jasminum_fluminense.htm

Looks like we will have to dig further. Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks,
malyada

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Chitra Shanker <chitra...@gmail.com> wrote:
It is mullai I think Jasminum auriculatum
CHitra


On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 6:12 PM, <mal...@gmail.com> wrote:

J.M. Garg

unread,
Jul 23, 2008, 11:06:46 PM7/23/08
to mal...@gmail.com, Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Hi, Malyada ji,
The link is in Bengali- I think it states something like 'Juhi'  for the first plant picture, though I not much conversant with alphabets. May be some one knowing Bengali, clarify as to what is written in Bengali link.
As per Tropical garden plants by Bose, Chowdhury & Sharma, Jasminum auriculatum is a woody climber, native of India, also grown as a struggling shrub without any support- with leaves mostly simple, but sometimes trifoliate. 
I think it's better to put final reliance on authortative text- pl. see one for Jasminum fluminense http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/jasflu.pdf & check for yourself & match all the features in the description. 

Tabish

unread,
Aug 2, 2008, 10:46:36 AM8/2/08
to indiantreepix
If we look at the leaves, they clearly three leaflets. That rules out
J. multoflorum (J. pubescens is synonym of that) which have simple
(not compound) leaves. With 3 leaflets, we don't have many choices. I
feel it is River Jasmine (Jasminum fluminense). More information here:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/River%20Jasmine.html
Cheers!
- Tabish

On Jul 24, 8:06 am, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Malyada ji,
> The link is in Bengali- I think it states something like 'Juhi'  for the
> first plant picture, though I not much conversant with alphabets. May be
> some one knowing Bengali, clarify as to what is written in Bengali link.
> As per Tropical garden plants by Bose, Chowdhury & Sharma, *Jasminum
> auriculatum* is a woody climber, native of India, also grown as a struggling
> shrub without any support- with leaves mostly simple, but sometimes
> trifoliate.
> I think it's better to put final reliance on authortative text- pl. see one
> for *Jasminum fluminense*http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/jasflu.pdf& check for
> yourself & match all the features in the description.
>
>
>
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 8:12 AM, <maly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Chitra and Garg Ji,
>
> > Thanks for the replies. jasminum auriculatum is 'Juhi', which is a shrub.
> > We had 4 of them in our garden, but only one is left now, and its currently
> > pruned. I will have to search for other places in Vrindaban where I can find
> > 'juhi'. Will post the photos when I can get to them.
>
> > The photo I had planted is that of a creeper. Its called 'nitya-malli' in
> > Tamil as it flowers year long. Typically down south, the easiest way to
> > identify a brahmin household is a nitya malli creeper on the front door. The
> > leaves are very similar to auriculatum, but I am sure this is a different
> > plant. Is it possible that its the same species, but grows as a vine as well
> > as a shrub. I am sure though that the flowers of 'Juhi' are different. The
> > buds as well as the flowers are smaller, and the number of petals is also
> > less. Here is a link for Juhi, the way I have seen the plant in my garden:
>
> >http://images.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://www.flowersofindia.ne...
>
> > This link is in a different language, so I could not make out much, but the
> > first photo is that of nitya malli, and the second one is Juhi(auriculatum).
>
> >http://images.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://www.abasar.net/flower...
>
> > I am now more inclined towards jasminum fluminense, here is a link. The
> > flowers are not clear,  but the leaves are unmistakably the same plant  I am
> > seeking id for.  My only issue is that I do not which source to trust on the
> > net and which not. Anyways, here is the link:
>
> >http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/images/thumbnails/html/jasminum_fl...
>
> > Looks like we will have to dig further. Any help would be much appreciated.
> > thanks,
> > malyada
>
> > On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Chitra Shanker <chitrashan...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> It is mullai I think Jasminum auriculatum
> >> CHitra
>
> >>  On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 6:12 PM, <maly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>> Hi,
>
> >>> This is the second creeper. The Hindi name is the same, but is called
> >>> 'Nitya Malli' in Tamil, as it flowers year long in the south. The leaves are
> >>> shiny and green in colour, and the creeper itself is very hardy and needs
> >>> little care. The flowers mostly have 8 or 9 petals. The flower is pure white
> >>> without the pink lining on the petals found in a lot of other jasmine
> >>> varieties.
>
> >>> Here is the link to the earlier posts on jasmine in the group:
>
> >>> Another Chameli:
>
> >>>http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/4...
> >>> Kunda:
>
> >>>http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/8...
>
> >>> Photos taken in Vrindaban, UP on 12 and 13th July 2008.
>
> >>> thanks,
> >>> malyada
>
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

J.M. Garg

unread,
Aug 2, 2008, 11:45:14 AM8/2/08
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Congradulations, Malyada ji on the wonderful efforts!!!
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages