Tree for ID-160909-RK

ranjini kamath

Sep 16, 2009, 6:17:54 AM9/16/09
to indiatreepix
Request ID for this tree.Pictures taken in Bangalore this month in
Lalbagh & in the Asian Games village,Koramangala.Thank you.
Regards
Ranjini Kamath
IMG_5439-ph.JPG
IMG_5388-ITP-2.JPG
IMG_5490-ph.JPG
IMG_5492-ph.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Sep 16, 2009, 6:34:15 AM9/16/09
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Ranjini ji, I have a strong feeling that the first photo IMG_5439-ph.JPG is different from the other three ... please confirm.
the second, IMG_5388-ITP-2.JPG seems to me Putranjiva roxburghii.
the rest, I do not know.

Regards.

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Sep 16, 2009, 6:59:23 AM9/16/09
to indiantreepix
Yes, apart from the 1st, rest are Purtanjiva roxburghii (Family -
Putranjivaceae)

ranjini kamath

Sep 16, 2009, 8:06:50 AM9/16/09
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Dinesh ji & Pankaj ji Thanks for pointing this out.I thought the
leaves with the wavy edges looked similar & assumed they were the
same.I wanted a picture with flowers too! My mistake.The first one was
taken at Lalbagh & the rest were taken in the Games Village.Thank you
for IDing this tree-i had been v. keen to know what Putranjiva
roxburghii looked like.
Regards
Ranjini Kamath

ranjini kamath

Sep 16, 2009, 8:11:59 AM9/16/09
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix

Pardeshi S.

Sep 16, 2009, 11:09:14 AM9/16/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
The first pic seems to me of
Aphanamixis polystachya (Wall.) Parker in Ind. Forester 57: 486, 1931;
Almeida, Fl. Mah.1: 223, 1996; Singh et al, Fl. Mah. St. 1: 502, 2000.
Synonyms: Aglaia polystachya Wall ex Roxb. Fl. Ind 2: 429, 1824.
Andersonia rohituka Roxb. Fl. Ind. 2: 213, 1832. Amoora rohituka
(Roxb.)Wt. & Arn. in Wt., Prodr. 119, 1834; Cooke, Fl. Pres. Bombay 1:
224, 1958 (Repr.).
Common names: Rohitak, Sohaga.

the next three is rightly identified by Dinesh Ji as Puthranjiva
roxburghii

Drypetes roxburghii (Wall.) Hurusawa in J. Fac. Sci. Univ. Tokyo,
Sect. 3, Bot. 6: 337, 1954; Singh et al, Fl. Mah. St. 2: 872, 2001;
Almeida, Fl. Mah. 4: 302, 2003. Synonyms: Putranjiva roxburghii Wall.
Tent. Fl. Nepal 61, 1828; Hook f., Fl. Brit. Ind. 5: 336, 1887; Cooke,
Fl. Pres. Bombay 3: 86, 1958 (Repr.).
Common name: Putranjiva, Putravati.

The stones of the fruits are made into necklaces and put around the
children neck so as to preserve them from evil and keep them in good
health (hence the name putranjiva which means life of the child).

regards
Satish Pardeshi
Consultant Taxonomist
CDAC, Pune

On Sep 16, 5:11 pm, ranjini kamath <ranjin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Putranjivaceae)- Hide quoted text -

Tabish

Sep 16, 2009, 11:29:53 AM9/16/09
to indiantreepix
The first one is Pithraj Tree (Aphanamixis polystachya)
(Synonyms: Aglaia polystachya, Amoora rohituka, Andersonia rohituka)
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Pithraj%20Tree.html
Best wishes
- Tabish
>  IMG_5439-ph.JPG
> 183KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5388-ITP-2.JPG
> 186KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5490-ph.JPG
> 160KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5492-ph.JPG
> 124KViewDownload

singhg .

Sep 16, 2009, 11:37:34 AM9/16/09
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
The first picture perhaps does not belong to the other three.

The other three are perhaps Putranjiva roxburghii

Gurcharan Singh

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Department of Botany

Rani Bhagat

Sep 17, 2009, 12:37:20 AM9/17/09
to singhg ., ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
First picture is of Aphanamixis polystachya (Wall.) Parker while second of Putranjiva roxburghii-Euphorbiaceae

--
Say yes to yes and no to no
Rani Bhagat