Crinum from Andamans

katarina stenman

Jan 31, 2011, 2:08:51 PM1/31/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Photo: 2011-01-08
Elephant Beach, Havelock Island, Andaman Islands
Plant growing on the beach (sandy). Leaves nearly 1 m. No flowers but fruits.
Not sure if Crinum can be identified without flowers. So is this C.asiaticum? or something else.

/Katarina

P1130467-Crinum.jpg

Nidhan Singh

Feb 1, 2011, 4:26:45 AM2/1/11
to katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
This looks like C. asiaticum the "Sukhdarshan" as it is popularly called.

Regards,
--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

Pardeshi S.

Feb 1, 2011, 7:13:32 AM2/1/11
to efloraofindia
Yes Singh ji
it is Crinum asiaticum.
Regards
Satish Pardeshi

Katarina

Feb 1, 2011, 9:30:09 AM2/1/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks.
Katarina
> > Ph.: 09416371227- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

shrikant ingalhalikar

Feb 2, 2011, 4:08:42 AM2/2/11
to efloraofindia
For C. asiaticum the bulb would have a neck 30 cm long; Leaves to be
flat, nearly 2 m long and 15 cm wide. Scapes have to be 3 cm wide and
upto 1 m long. Regards, Shrikant

On Feb 1, 12:08 am, katarina stenman <katarina.sten...@emg.umu.se>
wrote:
>  P1130467-Crinum.jpg
> 880KViewDownload

Katarina

Feb 2, 2011, 4:22:48 AM2/2/11
to efloraofindia
This plant can for sure have a bulb neck that is 30 cm long as you
cant see the bulb at all. Leaves length depends on light, nutrients
and water availability so I guess this specimen growing in sand on
sunny sea-shore never will have leaves of 2 m length. There are also
many different cultivars of C.asiaticum that shows a big difference in
general size, leaf shape and colour.

Regards
Katarina