Fruits & Vegetables week : Lagenaria siceraria (Bottle gourd)

mani nair

Jan 14, 2011, 11:49:14 PM1/14/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending photos of Bottle gourd flower and fruit.

Place : Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
Date  : 24.11.2010
Habitat : Cultivated
Uses  :  Used as vegetable, juice is a very good tonic.

Regards,

Mani Nair.

DSC05600.JPG
DSC05599.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 15, 2011, 12:04:12 AM1/15/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Mani

A multipurpose vegetable, we loved its malai kofta vegetable. My mother was expert in cooking koftas without any besan.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

mani nair

Jan 15, 2011, 12:17:10 AM1/15/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gurcharan ji for the info.    Dudhi ka halwa is  also made from this vegetable.   The juice when mixed with Awla juice is tasty and good for health.
Bird houses and other decorative articles are made from the fully ripen bottle gourd.

Regards,
Mani.

tanay bose

Jan 15, 2011, 12:39:31 AM1/15/11
to mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice mani ji and Sir ji
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 15, 2011, 12:44:27 AM1/15/11
to efloraofindia
Just to add Mani ji. If you are prone to common cold and cough then Dudhi juice is not less than a curse for you. The patients following channel vale babas, commonly complain about it. In Traditional Healing in general there is very few general recommendations, there is specific recommendations for every patient.

Like other herbs Aonla has its own limitations. In treatment of heart diseases many of Traditional experts suggest the patients to stop use of Aonla in any form. But as we are seeing from Television advertisement to Channel Vale Babas every one is openly recommending Aonla for every one.

It is general recommendation that Ginger tea is good for cold and cough but here is also a sign of "Condition apply." Patients having skin troubles specially Leucoderma or Vitiligo are strictly suggested to avoid Ginger in any form. The use of Ginger is restricted in alteast ten human diseases.

So our Traditional experts truly say that the new trend of "Commercial Ayurveda" is not reducing the future patients but increasing the list of patients and indirectly assisting the modern systems of medicine like Allopathy.

Few months back I published Hindi article showing that how modern fashion of taking Aloe vera juice is increasing the new patients with colon cancer alarmingly. If interested, I will forward it to you.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 15, 2011, 12:49:46 AM1/15/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
And yes I also remember the fruits are generally left on the vine to ripen for seeds to mature and used for next crop. After removing the seeds the hard dry shell can be used for collecting and storing water like in bottle.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 15, 2011, 12:58:35 AM1/15/11
to efloraofindia
In support of Gurcharan ji I am forwarding this link

http://pankajoudhia.com/album/main.php?g2_itemId=10978

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 15, 2011, 1:10:41 AM1/15/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji for providing documental proof to support my childhood memories.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 15, 2011, 1:21:31 AM1/15/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks. Please see this superb Slideshow (by Jooste and Ellis) on Lagenaria and its uses available in Ecoport.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=slideshowView&slideshowId=114&checkRequired=Y

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

mani nair

Jan 15, 2011, 3:25:08 AM1/15/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Yes Pankaj ji, you are right. We think that there is no side effects in Ayurvedic medicines,  Ayurvedic medicines also should be taken after consultation with the Doctor.

Regards,

Mani.

Madhuri Pejaver

Jan 15, 2011, 3:34:22 AM1/15/11
to efloraofindia, Pankaj Oudhia
Exelent and thanks
madhuri

promila chaturvedi

Jan 15, 2011, 7:26:39 AM1/15/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
In my childhood I used to eat GulabLachchhe 0r Kapurkand made out of this vegetable during summer season.
Promila

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 15, 2011, 8:40:53 AM1/15/11
to efloraofindia
Now you can still continue it both for taste as well as medicine Promila. Use of this species in any form during summer is not only preventive but also curative to many common gynec troubles.

As you know these days Lagenaria is grown by using heavy agrochemicals and plant growth hormones/regulators. Hence at this time it is better to grow it in home garden organically or avoid using it. There are tens of promising alternatives.

Indian farmers have rich Traditional Agricultural Knowledge to enrich this species with medicinal properties. Unfortunately young farmers fond of agrochemicals are ignoring it. In last season over 40 pesticide dealers traveled to Singapore/Thailand and other tourist destinations as bonus by companies, only for selling pesticides for Lagenaria. It is in record but this indiscriminate use has resulted in how many deaths and cancer like troubles, unfortunately we have no record.

As dealers always say "Jai ho Channel vale Baba ki."

regards

Pankaj Oudhia