Common Foxtail Orchid

Neil Soares

Jun 30, 2010, 3:36:00 AM6/30/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi,
 At Shahapur last weekend. Mass flowering occurs for one week in the year. Last week was that week.
                       With regards,
                         Neil Soares.

Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 1.jpg
Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 2.jpg
Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 3.jpg
Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 4.jpg
Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 5.jpg
Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 6.jpg
Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 7.jpg

Vijayadas D

Jun 30, 2010, 3:53:41 AM6/30/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
I like to know about the habitat of this orchid,

 I found naturally only on teek trees,    but in my house, growing on coconut tree and other wood surfaces.

Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy
Salwa Garden Village, PB -7210
Riyadh -11462 , KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Neil Soares

Jun 30, 2010, 4:01:04 AM6/30/10
to Vijayadas D, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi Dr.Vijayadas,
  As seen in the photographs most are growing on Mahua [Madhuca longifolia var. latifolia] trees. Also have a few on my Teak, Bhondara , Ain, Khair  and some other trees but these are few and far between. [Have even noticed one on my Banyan tree].
                  Regards,
                   Neil Soares.

Ritesh Choudhary

Jun 30, 2010, 4:03:08 AM6/30/10
to efloraofindia
Hello Neil ji,

Thanks for sharing the photographs.

I am recollecting my memories from Arunachal Pradesh.

This one is the state flower for Arunachal Pradesh and Assam both.
Commonly called 'Kopoh fool'. Must for all the girls taking part in
'BIhu' dance.

Regards,
Ritesh.
>  Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 1.jpg
> 197KViewDownload
>
>  Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 2.jpg
> 139KViewDownload
>
>  Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 3.jpg
> 165KViewDownload
>
>  Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 4.jpg
> 160KViewDownload
>
>  Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 5.jpg
> 176KViewDownload
>
>  Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 6.jpg
> 139KViewDownload
>
>  Common Foxtail Orchid [Rhynchostylis retusa] 7.jpg
> 118KViewDownload

Pankaj Oudhia

Jun 30, 2010, 4:06:10 AM6/30/10
to efloraofindia
In Traditional Healing, same species of orchids growing on different tree species are considered different in medicinal properties.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Vijayadas D

Jun 30, 2010, 4:31:33 AM6/30/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Thanks .

Smilax004

Jun 30, 2010, 4:49:18 AM6/30/10
to efloraofindia
Rhyncostylis retusa (Orchidaceae). Generally prefers partly open, semi-
dry deciduous habitat to cultivated land but on coconut tree it would
be planted, I guess.
One among the first orchid blooms during monsoon in the Western Ghats.

Regards,
Giby

On Jun 30, 1:31 pm, Vijayadas D <dvijaya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks .
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>

> >   Hi Dr.Vijayadas,
> >   As seen in the photographs most are growing on Mahua [Madhuca longifolia
> > var. latifolia] trees. Also have a few on my Teak, Bhondara , Ain, Khair
> >  and some other trees but these are few and far between. [Have even noticed
> > one on my Banyan tree].
> >                   Regards,
> >                    Neil Soares.

Vijayadas D

Jun 30, 2010, 5:07:51 AM6/30/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
thanks, ya, on coconut tree I have planted .

mani nair

Jun 30, 2010, 7:49:02 AM6/30/10
to Vijayadas D, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Dear Vijaydasji,

You can plant this orchid on Mango Trees  or any other  rough barked trees also.  When you mount it just put some moist spagnum moss on the roots.  Afterwards the roots get the grip on the bark of the Mango Tree.

Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Jun 30, 2010, 9:17:39 AM6/30/10
to mani nair, Vijayadas D, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Nice collection Neil Ji, Hopefully you posted Rhynchostylis retusa last week !! but nice to see this lovely plant again!!
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 1:18:53 PM7/11/10
to efloraofindia
Rhynchostylis retusa indeed!! Its called retusa because of the retuse
tip, if you see the leaf tip, it seems like someone chopped off the
tip with a knife....Thats one of the unique features with which you
can id this plant without flowers.
Regards
Pankaj