[efloraofindia:32785] Bixa orellana from Chitrakoot

Balkar Arya

Apr 20, 2010, 10:03:54 PM4/20/10
to indiantreepix, Tabish
Dear All
Bixa orellana from ChitraKoot Herbal Garden (Lipstick Tree)

Regards
--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 20, 2010, 10:13:28 PM4/20/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix, Tabish
Balkar ji
You forgot to attach photograph

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Apr 20, 2010, 10:20:54 PM4/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix, Tabish
Sorry !!!!!  Sir
Attaching now
Bixa-1.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 20, 2010, 10:47:32 PM4/20/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix, Tabish
Yes Balkar ji
I also similar photographs in fruit. Please let me know when it comes to flower. It grows in Delhi University Nursery, but I have yet to catch it in flower.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Balkar Arya <balka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry !!!!!  Sir
Attaching now

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

Balkar Arya

Apr 20, 2010, 11:10:45 PM4/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix, Tabish
Dear Gurcharan Ji
I was in NCC National Integration Camp in Chitrakoot From 1-12-09 to 14-12-09. There i came across hundreds of flowers which i have never seen in north India. I am trying to upload them. So i was not able to have much information about them. There is a very Big Eye and General Hospital and a Ayurvedic College called as Aryogdham. This institute maintains a good Herbal park with more than 1000 medicinal plants. This pic was also from that Garden. However many of them are wrongly identified, still a very good place to visit. I have seen such a big Bel (A mormelos) Fruit and E Officinalis fruit first time there.

Regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

tanay bose

Apr 21, 2010, 12:03:32 AM4/21/10
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix, Tabish
Dear Balkar ji,
nice photo if you can kindly post a closeup of the inflorescence and flower.
Regards
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Prashant awale

Apr 21, 2010, 12:39:46 AM4/21/10
to tanay bose, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix, Tabish
Dear Friends,
Sharing a photo which i had taken in Mizoram.
regards
Prashant

bixa orellana-ITP.JPG

tanay bose

Apr 21, 2010, 12:44:08 AM4/21/10
to Prashant awale, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix, Tabish
Thats a really nice and close photo Prasant ji ... the flower morphology and characters are well well seen and noted .
tanay

Satish Chile

Apr 21, 2010, 1:54:53 AM4/21/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix, Tabish
Balkar ji, Tanay ji, Prashant ji, & Gurucharan ji

I my college campus there are five plants of bixa orellana and they are regularly flowering and fruiting.It is a small tree which bears flowers in quite a young stage.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 21, 2010, 2:02:32 AM4/21/10
to Satish Chile, tanay bose, Prashant awale, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix, Tabish
Satish ji

I am desperate to know flowering time of this plant. I have been visiting DU nursery every 10-15 days for last many months. I always find it laden with fruits.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Prashant awale

Apr 21, 2010, 2:08:05 AM4/21/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile, tanay bose, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix, Tabish
Dear Gurcharan Singh ji,
I had photographed this in Mid November.
regards
Prashant

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 21, 2010, 2:09:30 AM4/21/10
to Prashant awale, Satish Chile, tanay bose, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix, Tabish
I think it must be different in Delhi.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Chile

Apr 21, 2010, 2:14:31 AM4/21/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, tanay bose, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix, Tabish
Gurcharan ji
In Seoni it flowers in Late October to November. It starts setting fruit in December and by January fruits are full grown. We used to offer its fruits Ma Sarsvati in Vasant Panchami.
Satish

Tabish

Apr 21, 2010, 2:17:11 AM4/21/10
to efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji,
In Delhi it flowers from October to December. In December you will
find less flowers and more fruit, while in October buds are opening.
Also, flowers in Delhi are only white, and not mauve, as in Prashant's
pictures. Also the fruit doesn't become as brilliant red. Common name
is Lipstick Tree, and is used a lot in coloring in NE India.
- Tabish