10032011-PR for ID from Chennai

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 9, 2011, 8:53:09 PM3/9/11
to indiantreepix
This is a plant bought from a nusery at Bangalore.
Please help me id it.
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
is it a Eurphorbia 001.jpg
is it a Eurphorbia 003.jpg
is it a Eurphorbia 004.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 9, 2011, 11:12:19 PM3/9/11
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
is it some species of Cissus?
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 10, 2011, 12:41:09 AM3/10/11
to tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
I suppose Cissus repens

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Chile

Mar 10, 2011, 1:12:15 AM3/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
I would like to correct Cissus repanda .
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 10, 2011, 4:08:53 AM3/10/11
to Satish Chile, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
The following key should help in settling issue

Tendrils forked, leaves with 9-12 sharp teeth on each side, apex acute....................C. repens
Tendril with 5-7 racemose branches, leaves with 15-45 minute teeth
     on each side, apex rounded...........................................................................C. repanda

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

Mar 10, 2011, 6:17:11 AM3/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Hi,
 Not sure what the plant in question here is, but am sending a few photographs of a young plant of Cissus repanda for comparison. The photographs were taken at my farm at Shahapur.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 3/10/11, Satish Chile <chile...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cissus repanda, Gendhal 1.jpg
Cissus repanda, Gendhal 2.jpg
Cissus repanda, Gendhal 3.jpg

Vijayasankar

Mar 10, 2011, 10:01:59 AM3/10/11
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
As you may be aware, Cissus quadrangularis also has cylindrical and flattened stems (perhaps under cultivation?) in addition to the normal 4-angled stems.
I guess the flat-stemmed form was recently described as new species (citation needed!).
I think your plant is a form of C.quadrangularis with cylindrical stems. But this needs confirmation.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Satish Phadke

Mar 10, 2011, 10:04:54 AM3/10/11
to Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Yes I also thought it looks close to Cissus quadrangularis...........

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 10, 2011, 12:17:33 PM3/10/11
to Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile, tanay bose, indiantreepix
 Dear Vijaysankar-ji,
How should confirmation be obtained?  Do I have to wait and see how it grows?
On closer inspection, I find that the cross-section is cylindrical and almost square in parts with one section having a fluted side.
 I find no resmblance to Neil's pics of C. repanda.
 On the downside, I am mortified to think that I paid good money for a Cissus quadrangularis,
 which I could have got from any wild place!
Thanks for all the suggestions, Gurucharan-ji, Satish-ji, Neil-ji  and Tanay-ji.
 Regards,
Padmini Raghavan.

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 10, 2011, 12:39:25 PM3/10/11
to Padmini Raghavan, Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile, tanay bose, indiantreepix
The leaf here does look like Cissus quadrangularis L.
and google search does say that flat stem, round stem and quadrangular
stem variants area available, though I have seen just the quadrangular
one which we have in our garden. This also never flowers and supposed
to be highly medicinal.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 10, 2011, 8:55:51 PM3/10/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, Satish Chile, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Cissus quadriangularis is supposed to have succulent stems, constricted nodes and simple tendrils, which I don't see in above plant. Perhaps this paper should help

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 10, 2011, 9:01:57 PM3/10/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, Satish Chile, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Sending my photographs of Cissus quadrangularis for comparison. Kindly note the tendrils and constricted nodes (we we want to ignore  stem angles and wings).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Cissus-quadrangularis-Herbal-gdn-Delhi-1.jpg
Cissus-quadrangularis-Herbal-gdn-Delhi-2.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Mar 13, 2011, 10:03:52 AM3/13/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All:
Dr. Singh's pictures are Cissus quadrangularis...I agree...
this plant is called HAAD-JODA in Bengali.. Ethnobotanical use: its
described as being
helpful as poultice in cases of sprain and other bone injury including
fractures...
esp if applied soon after injury and may also be taken internally as
tea...
rich in silicon and calcium among others...
Roots very easily and grows profusely in Kolkata's humid weather in
summer and monsoon.
Usha Desai MD

J.M. Garg

Jun 23, 2011, 8:25:52 AM6/23/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose, Vijayasankar Raman, chile...@gmail.com, Padmini Raghavan, Neil Soares, naray...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, noorunni...@frlht.org

Some earlier relevant feedback:

I suppose Cissus repens

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

I would like to correct Cissus repanda .” from Chile ji.

[...]

 .. Regards,
Padmini Raghavan."

"The leaf here does look like Cissus quadrangularis L.
and google search does say that flat stem, round stem and quadrangular
stem variants area available, though I have seen just the quadrangular
one which we have in our garden. This also never flowers and supposed
to be highly medicinal.
Pankaj"

"Cissus quadriangularis is supposed to have succulent stems, constricted nodes and simple tendrils, which I don't see in above plant. Perhaps this paper should help
Sending my photographs of Cissus quadrangularis for comparison. Kindly note the tendrils and constricted nodes (we we want to ignore  stem angles and wings)." from Singh ji.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

is it a Eurphorbia 001.jpg
is it a Eurphorbia 003.jpg
is it a Eurphorbia 004.jpg

ajinkya gadave

Jun 23, 2011, 9:34:18 AM6/23/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose, Vijayasankar Raman, chile...@gmail.com, Padmini Raghavan, Neil Soares, naray...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, noorunni...@frlht.org

Cissus quadrangularis

Narayan R

Jun 23, 2011, 9:52:07 AM6/23/11
to ajinkya gadave, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose, Vijayasankar Raman, chile...@gmail.com, Padmini Raghavan, Neil Soares, navend...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, noorunni...@frlht.org
Better Photo will help.

This seems like Pirendai common name in Tamil.

With proper salt treatment this can cooked and eaten well.

With Regards,
R Narayan

Narayan R

Jun 23, 2011, 9:53:25 AM6/23/11
to ajinkya gadave, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose, Vijayasankar Raman, chile...@gmail.com, Padmini Raghavan, Neil Soares, navend...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, noorunni...@frlht.org
Note: With out proper salt treatment, the tongue will react and swell, which is
a very painful experience.

With Regards,
R Narayan