Acanthaceae Fortnight :: Strobilanthes FOR ID :: Ooty :: DVMAR121/132

Dinesh Valke

Mar 26, 2015, 11:58:31 AM3/26/15
to efloraofindia

Acanthaceae Fortnight
acanthus, or ruellia family
Strobilanthes ¿ species ?
Dear friends,
The shrub about 3m high; flower about 4 - 5 cm long, 2 - 2.5 cm across.
at Doddabetta, Ooty on November 17, 2011

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Mar 30, 2015, 12:57:36 AM3/30/15
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

Mar 30, 2015, 1:15:30 AM3/30/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Dinesh ji you are great to post this much nice images on account of Acanthaceae fortnight, it may be Strobilanthes zenkeriana T.Anderson, which is reported from Doddabetta(in PF Fyson flora of south indian Hill station)

Muthu Karthick

Mar 30, 2015, 8:25:59 AM3/30/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Interesting plant Dinesh ji, could this be Strobilanthus foliosus?

Dinesh Valke

Mar 30, 2015, 11:51:53 AM3/30/15
to Muthu Karthick, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Garg ji for tirelessly resurfacing the unresolved queries.

Thank you very much Santhan ji and Muthu ji for suggesting the IDs.
I found botanical painting of Strobilanthes zenkeriana at Plant Illustrations ORG ... the leaves are kind of round rather than elliptical.
At India Nature Watch I found one closeup of Strobilanthus foliosus flowers, and hint of a leaf.

Let me check the descriptions and then come back to this post.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Apr 3, 2015, 2:17:34 AM4/3/15
to efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Dinesh ji you are great to post this much nice images on account of Acanthaceae fortnight, it may be Strobilanthes zenkeriana T.Anderson, which is reported from Doddabetta(in PF Fyson flora of south indian Hill station)- from Santhan ji.

Interesting plant Dinesh ji, could this be Strobilanthus foliosus?- from Muthu ji.

Thank you very much Santhan ji and Muthu ji for suggesting the IDs.
I found botanical painting of Strobilanthes zenkeriana at Plant Illustrations ORG ... the leaves are kind of round rather than elliptical.
At India Nature Watch I found one closeup of Strobilanthus foliosus flowers, and hint of a leaf.

Let me check the descriptions and then come back to this post.

Regards.
Dinesh

Apr 15, 2015, 9:30:55 AM4/15/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Muthu Karthick

Dear friends,
Adding more photos with the hope that it helps in ID. These are cropped versions of the photos already put at the top of this thread.
The oily sheen on the plant (especially seen on the leaves) is the deposit of fuel emission from vehicles.
Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?

Strobilanthes ¿ species ?
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Apr 19, 2015, 6:26:39 AM4/19/15
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Muthu Karthick

J.M. Garg

Apr 19, 2015, 8:25:24 AM4/19/15
to efloraofindia, M Swamy, Dinesh Valke
Apr 20, 2015, 4:25:03 AM4/20/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Swamy
Many thanks Garg ji for resurfacing this query, seemingly a different Strobilanthes.

Many thanks to Mahadeswara ji too for his thoughts. But I am sure this would not be S. ciliatus - which is relatively a small herb/subshrub growing under cover of evergreen forest with very small flowers.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 16, 2021, 3:22:42 AM3/16/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 16, 2021, 3:23:43 AM3/16/21
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke
Mar 20, 2021, 6:01:33 AM3/20/21
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
This is Strobilanthes gracilis Bedd. as per comparative images at Strobilanthes

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 23, 2021, 4:41:01 AM3/23/21