Anacardium occidentale ------------------- Tanay Bose

tanay bose

Jul 20, 2010, 12:29:16 AM7/20/10
to efloraofindia

Anacardium occidentale L.

Synonym: Not available

Common Name: Cashew nut, Cashew apple

Family: Anacardiaceae

Location: Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Botanical Garden (formerly Indian Botanical Gardens, Sibpur)

Date: June 2006

This photo was taken by me during my B.Sc classes; the worst part was I was not even allowed to touch it by my teacher!!! My intension was use material gastronomically!! Alas

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew

Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Anacardium occidentale.jpg

mani nair

Jul 20, 2010, 12:34:13 AM7/20/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Tanay ji lovely photo.  When I saw this photo I remembered my childhood days when I used to climb on this tree and pluck the juicy fruits.  After eating the fruits we used to throw the seeds.  After some years I realised  that people are selling the seeds in the market, then I also started collecting the seeds fallen down under the trees and used to sell one seed for five paise !!

Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Jul 20, 2010, 12:38:23 AM7/20/10
to mani nair, efloraofindia
Great Business man "Mani Ji"!!
Inspirational childhood
tanay

mani nair

Jul 20, 2010, 12:51:01 AM7/20/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Yes Tanay ji, very sad to see that children now a days are mostly interested in Computer games and Television.  When I see my son playing on Computer I think about my childhood which I think was more enjoyable.  We had less money but was more happy than the present children.  Coming  back to Cashew nuts, in Kerala there is a story behind its name.  The name Cashew nut is derived from the Malayalam words  Kash -  Cash   and Ettu  - Eight   - meaning for one paise Eight nuts were available once upon a time.   Kash-in-ettu became Cashew nut.  I heard this story during my childhood days.   Any other stories on Cashew Nut?

Regards,

Mani.