Unusual Arbutus unedo or something else from California-GS28042023-1

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 27, 2023, 8:10:05 PM4/27/23
to efloraofindia
This year I photographed this tree from Fremont, California, which has leaves and fruits of Arbutus unedo (I have uploaded on our group earlier https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/5KxeScAr8lU) but this tree differs in flowers which are hanging in dense bunches and corolla lobes are free nearly upto base, not typical urceolate (urn-shaped with narrowed top, slightly notched at tip). Any clue about this unusual tree.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Arbutus unedo Della Terr Fremont-IMG_5448.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 27, 2023, 8:10:51 PM4/27/23
to efloraofindia
one more image

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Arbutus unedo Della Terr Fremont-IMG_5454.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 27, 2023, 8:11:23 PM4/27/23
to efloraofindia
One more image

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Arbutus unedo Della Terr Fremont-IMG_5457.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 27, 2023, 8:12:46 PM4/27/23
to efloraofindia
Arbutus unedo Della Terr Fremont-IMG_5461.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 27, 2023, 8:14:34 PM4/27/23
to efloraofindia
one more image

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Arbutus unedo Della Terr Fremont-IMG_5471.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 27, 2023, 8:18:14 PM4/27/23
to efloraofindia
One more image

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Arbutus unedo Della Terr Fremont-IMG_6080.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 27, 2023, 8:19:05 PM4/27/23
to efloraofindia
one more image

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Arbutus unedo Della Terr Fremont-IMG_6100.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 7, 2023, 2:23:23 AM5/7/23
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh

Yes, it looks different from Arbutus unedo.
I tried but could not find any match.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
Arbutus unedo Della Terr Fremont-IMG_5448.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

May 7, 2023, 2:46:43 AM5/7/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, GurcharanSingh
Vaccinium ovatum Pursh ?
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2023, 12:17:23 PM5/11/23
to eFloraofIndia
Saroj ji, see fruits in third and fourth post. Repeating again.
Arbutus unedo Della Terr Fremont-IMG_5461-a.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

May 11, 2023, 12:31:19 PM5/11/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
Yes iot is not the Vaccinium ovatum Pursh !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

May 18, 2023, 2:00:29 AM5/18/23
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh

Yes, it looks different from Arbutus unedo.
I tried but could not find any match.

May 18, 2023, 3:58:00 AM5/18/23
to Alastair Culham, efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh
Thanks a lot, Alastair ji

On Thu, 18 May 2023 at 12:15, Alastair Culham <a.cu...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:

There are several Arbutus native to southern USA and Mexico.  I think they all have urceolate flowers rather like A. unedo.  This may be an odd floral mutant.

Alastair

___________________________________

Dr Alastair Culham

Associate Professor of Botany

Curator, University of Reading Herbarium

School Director of Academic Tutoring

School of Biological Sciences

University of Reading

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Gurcharan Singh

May 19, 2023, 6:25:07 PM5/19/23
to eFloraofIndia
Garg ji I made a repeat visit to the tree. Most of the flowers had fallen, a few left were returning normal urceolate condition. I could also capture flower and fruits together. We can forget it as aberration.
IMG_0533.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 19, 2023, 6:26:43 PM5/19/23
to eFloraofIndia