another Ipomea

sibdas ghosh

Nov 17, 2008, 9:47:10 AM11/17/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Another Ipomea- I.biloba, the leaves are bilobed and fleshy, adopted
on sand dunes and a mangrove
DSCF0401.JPG

Geetha Jaikumar

Nov 18, 2008, 3:32:45 AM11/18/08
to sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Are these also called sand binders, which are planted to prevent the advance of deserts?

Geetha Jaikumar

figtree

Nov 18, 2008, 9:37:54 AM11/18/08
to indiantreepix
It is a sand binder that is true , it grows in beaches, I am not
sure whether it can prevent advance of desrt .
> > on sand dunes and a mangrove- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Nov 19, 2008, 8:17:40 PM11/19/08
to figtree, indiantreepix
From Indiantreepix Database:

mangala borkar

Nov 20, 2008, 9:37:00 AM11/20/08
to sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Ipomoea biloba cannot be called as a mangrove. It is mainly seen on the sea beaches. While mangroves are found in estuaries, creeks,  bays and lagoons.
Borkar

Nov 20, 2008, 10:13:50 AM11/20/08
to mangala borkar, sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here is a reply from Sibdas ji in a different mail:
"It was a question which was put to me by some one else too. You are right that it growns in sand dunes and a sand binder. It is reported that it grows in intertidal zone too, and hence it is also included by the Calcutta Wild Life Society in their list of Mangroves and is being conserved in the Mangrove Botanic Garden at Jharkhali. "

Mahendra Prasad

Nov 21, 2008, 3:46:34 AM11/21/08
to mangala borkar, J.M. Garg, sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
I remember seeing an Ipomea on Bakkhali Beach ( 100 km south of Kolkata ) in 1989. Creeper growing on sand just above high tide. Butterfly-like leaves similar to Bauhania.
Probable ID anyone ? No pix available.

sibdas ghosh

Nov 21, 2008, 9:02:18 AM11/21/08
to mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, mangala borkar, J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ipomoea biloba (pes carpae, brasiliensis- all syn) also grows on Beach of Bakkhali and also in the Mangrove reserve of Bakkhali, just behind the Crocodile Project.Yes this plant has Bauhinia -like leaves.

--
Sibdas Ghosh

Mahendra Prasad

Nov 24, 2008, 3:48:46 AM11/24/08