Shrub for id 05022010MK1

Muthu Karthick

Feb 5, 2010, 2:23:46 AM2/5/10
to indiantreepix
Dear members,
Kindly help to identify this shrub found on the bank of a stream in shade.
Location: satyamnagalam RF
Date: 20 Jan 2010

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Muthu Karthick

Feb 16, 2010, 6:01:20 AM2/16/10
to indiantreepix
IMG_3547.JPG
IMG_3548.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG
IMG_3551.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 10, 2010, 11:59:43 PM3/10/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Mahadeswara Swamy, Vijayasankar Raman

Forwarding again for Id assistance please

Mar 11, 2010, 1:10:08 PM3/11/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Mahadeswara Swamy
Dear Muthu, can it be Pisonia aculeata? pl check.
--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

Muthu Karthick

Mar 12, 2010, 2:43:33 AM3/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Mahadeswara Swamy
Thank you very much sir.
But this plant is not armed.

Muthu Karthick

Mar 12, 2010, 2:44:26 AM3/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Mahadeswara Swamy
Thank you very much sir.
But this plant is not armed; also this is not so scandent or climbing shrub.

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 12, 2010, 12:32:19 PM3/12/10
to Muthu Karthick, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Mahadeswara Swamy
Thanks Muthu. How about leaf & floral features? I still think that it is Pisonia. Let's here from other members' too.

Yazdy Palia

Mar 14, 2010, 12:17:14 AM3/14/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Muthu Karthick, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Mahadeswara Swamy
Dear Friends,
The structure of the leaves do not match the pictures on the links
provided by Mr. Vijayasankar .Nor does the structure of the branches.
The branches in the links attached by Mr. Vijaysankar, are a bit hairy
and the leaves are dull and not glossy like those in the pictures sent
by Mr. Muthu Karthik.
This however is the observation of a novice.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:02 PM, R. Vijayasankar

J.M. Garg

Mar 29, 2010, 6:50:11 AM3/29/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Yazdy Palia, Mahadeswara Swamy, navendu page

Earlier relevant feedback:

“Dear Muthu, can it be Pisonia aculeata? pl check.” from Vijayasankar ji.

“Thank you very much sir.
But this plant is not armed; also this is not so scandent or climbing shrub.” from Muthu ji.

“Thanks Muthu. How about leaf & floral features? I still think that it is Pisonia. Let's here from other members' too.

"The structure of the leaves do not match the pictures on the links
provided by Mr. Vijayasankar
.Nor does the structure of the branches.
The branches in the links attached by Mr. Vijaysankar, are a bit hairy
and the leaves are dull and not glossy like those in the pictures sent
by Mr. Muthu Karthik.
This however is the observation of a novice.
Regards
Yazdy Palia."

Mar 29, 2010, 8:59:46 AM3/29/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Yazdy Palia, Mahadeswara Swamy, navendu page
Dear Muthu,
Considering all your observations and going through previous comments. I hope the plant is ...................................

Pisonia rotundata Grisebach, Cat. Pl. Cub. 283. 1866.

Shrubs or small trees, densely branched, to 5 m. Stems velvety when young, glabrate later; branches ascending, unarmed. Leaf blades elliptic, 2-6 × 2-5 cm, base rounded, occasionally pubsecent along veins, apex rounded to slightly retuse. Inflorescences: staminate inflorescences compound cymose to corymbose, 2 cm diam.; pistillate densely compound cymose at anthesis, more open in age; branches divaricate or ascending; fruiting pedicel 0.5-2 cm. Perianths: perianth of staminate flowers green or white, urceolate, 2-4 mm; perianth of pistillate flowers greenish, often blushed with red, 3.5-4 mm, densely puberulent. Fruits clavate, 7-10 × 3-4 mm, sparsely puberulent between glandular ribs, glands appearing only along distal 1/3-1/2.

Regards

Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

J.M. Garg

Pardeshi S.

Apr 29, 2010, 12:24:02 PM4/29/10
to efloraofindia
I guess it can be some Boerrhavia species. the flowers looks very
much similar to Boerrhavia except the color.
Regards

Satish Pardeshi

On Apr 29, 5:42 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.
>
> Some earlier relevant feedback:
>
> “Considering all your observations and going through previous comments. I
> hope the plant is ...................................
>
> *Pisonia rotundata* Grisebach, Cat. Pl. Cub. 283. 1866.
> Shrubs or small trees, densely branched, to 5 m. Stems velvety when young,
> glabrate later; branches ascending, unarmed. Leaf blades elliptic, 2-6 × 2-5
> cm, base rounded, occasionally pubsecent along veins, apex rounded to
> slightly retuse. Inflorescences: staminate inflorescences compound cymose to
> corymbose, 2 cm diam.; pistillate densely compound cymose at anthesis, more
> open in age; branches divaricate or ascending; fruiting pedicel 0.5-2 cm.
> Perianths: perianth of staminate flowers green or white, urceolate, 2-4 mm;
> perianth of pistillate flowers greenish, often blushed with red, 3.5-4 mm,
> densely puberulent. Fruits clavate, 7-10 × 3-4 mm, sparsely puberulent
> between glandular ribs, glands appearing only along distal 1/3-1/2.
> Regards
> Tanay”

R. Vijayasankar

Apr 29, 2010, 6:39:50 PM4/29/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Hi Muthu, any chance of getting fruits photo? so that the id can be confirmed.

With regards

Vijayasankar Raman

National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

Satish Chile

Apr 30, 2010, 8:15:04 AM4/30/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
 It seems to be Pisonia rotundata.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

J.M. Garg

Jun 6, 2010, 1:08:01 AM6/6/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Satish Chile, Vijayasankar Raman
[...]

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Apr 8, 2018, 6:27:15 AM4/8/18
to efloraofindia
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to indiantreepix+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

IMG_3547.JPG
IMG_3548.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG
IMG_3551.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 8, 2018, 6:32:40 AM4/8/18
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Satish Chile, satish pardeshi
Pisonia rotundata does not have distribution in India as per Catalogue of Life
To me appears close to images at Pisonia aculeata L.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2975 members & 2,90,000 messages on 31.3.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images).

IMG_3547.JPG
IMG_3548.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG
IMG_3551.JPG

Lalithamba Avadhanam

Apr 8, 2018, 8:18:29 AM4/8/18
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Satish Chile, satish pardeshi
Yes, to me it looks like Pisonea aculeata only, the leaf is slightly different from the specimen I collected
thank you
A.Lalithamba

J.M. Garg

Apr 8, 2018, 8:32:21 AM4/8/18
to Lalithamba Avadhanam, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Satish Chile, satish pardeshi
Thanks a lot, Lalithamba ji.