My best picture for year 2010

A.Sinha

Feb 4, 2011, 3:29:57 PM2/4/11
to indiantreepix
  • My Best Plant photo for 2010, , for me it captures the thrill of seeing this unusual “Amlaki” for the first time, and I could identify with EflorasIndia links
  • Phyllanthus.reticulatus :  a once commonly known  plant which is vanishing from our environs and culture,   but  was found, still surviving,  at the expanding edge of Bangalore city,
  • I  tasted the dark blue fruit  which my local guides (also pictured),  assured me, is  edible  ; it tasted slightly sour and also astringent , like black grape or blueberry.   Which makes me think it may be  rich in anti-oxidants.  (Caution:  reports from Africa suggest large does can be toxic)
  • Current researchers are looking at anti-cancer and liver protective compounds  from the leaves/ root
regards
A.Sinha

Phyll.r.jpg