Plant for ID 1 SMP 10062010

Satish Phadke

Jun 10, 2010, 11:05:41 AM6/10/10
to indiantreepix
It was a huge tree. Observed in ghats descending from Amboli to Sawantwadi.
Leaves very much similar to Mango leaves. Fruits purple violet similar to Jamun.
Dr Phadke
IMG_9498s.jpg
IMG_9499s.jpg

TANAY BOSE

Jun 10, 2010, 11:42:27 AM6/10/10
to efloraofindia
Probably some species of Syzygium as in this genus the fruits turn
from green to pink and ultimately dark purple, all this colour
variation are seen in the photos!!
Can be S cumini
Tanay
>  IMG_9498s.jpg
> 199KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_9499s.jpg
> 185KViewDownload

Neil Soares

Jun 10, 2010, 1:02:35 PM6/10/10
to indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Hi Dr. Phadke,
  This could be Alseodaphne semecarpifolia locally called Phudgus. Sending you some of my photographs for comparison.
                       With regards,
                         Neil Soares.

Jun 10, 2010, 1:16:30 PM6/10/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Dear all,
Any possibilities for Buchanania axillaris (Desr.) Ramam. of Anacardiaceae?
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Muthu Karthick

Jun 10, 2010, 1:19:16 PM6/10/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Also pictures uploaded by Neilji, does not matches with Satish Phadkeji's request picture. specially the fruits.

Aparna Watve

Jun 11, 2010, 2:40:01 AM6/11/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Dear Dr. Phadke,
My hunch is Nothopegia racemosa (= N. colebrookiana)- or some Nothopegia. So please check description from flora. The fruit has very attractive purple pulp, with smell reminding of mango- and it is edible. I remember seeing the plant at the very same area you describe.
It does not look like Alseodaphne or Syzygium or Buchanania to me.
Aparna
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve
Asha Appt, Shanti Nagar, Ekata Colony
Nr. BSNL tower, Akbar Ward,
Seoni.480661
tel: 07692-228115
mobile: (0)9755667710 and 9822597288 still works

J.M. Garg

Jun 24, 2010, 5:52:02 AM6/24/10
to efloraofindia, satish phadke, tanay bose, Aparna Watve, Neil Soares, Muthu Karthick

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Any possibilities for Buchanania axillaris (Desr.) Ramam. of Anacardiaceae?” from Muthu ji.

"My hunch is Nothopegia racemosa (= N. colebrookiana)- or some Nothopegia. So please check description from flora. The fruit has very attractive purple pulp, with smell reminding of mango- and it is edible. I remember seeing the plant at the very same area you describe.
It does not look like Alseodaphne or Syzygium or Buchanania to me.
Aparna"

It was a huge tree. Observed in ghats descending from Amboli to Sawantwadi.
Leaves very much similar to Mango leaves. Fruits purple violet similar to Jamun.
Dr Phadke

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

IMG_9498s.jpg
IMG_9499s.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 24, 2010, 6:34:10 AM6/24/10
to efloraofindia, satish phadke, tanay bose, Aparna Watve, Neil Soares, Muthu Karthick
A reply:
"Dr. Kunhikannan identified this as follows:
The tree is Holigarna arnottiana Hook. f. belong to Anacardiaceae, it
very allergic to some people, gives blisters on the skin. remedy for
the same is the leaves of Terminalia bellirica  made into ashes and
apply.  Fruits are not edible, but  eaten by toddy cat/palm civet, for
them it is not allergic and any body can see the tree seedlings grows
near the Caryota urens tree, because fruits of this tree are also
eaten by the same animal.
Please name it as Holigarna arnottiana.
Aparna"

Divakar

Jun 25, 2010, 4:06:54 AM6/25/10
to efloraofindia
I agree with Dr. Khunikannan, It must be Holigarna arnottiana Hook.f.
an endemic tree of Western Ghats

On Jun 24, 2:52 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.
>
> Some earlier relevant feedback:
>
> “*Any possibilities for Buchanania axillaris* (Desr.) Ramam. of
> Anacardiaceae?” from Muthu ji.
>
> "*My hunch is Nothopegia racemosa (= N. colebrookiana)- or some
> Nothopegia.*So please check description from flora. The fruit has very
> attractive purple
> pulp, with smell reminding of mango- and it is edible. I remember seeing the
> plant at the very same area you describe.
> It does not look like Alseodaphne or Syzygium or Buchanania to me.
> Aparna"

Smilax004

Jun 26, 2010, 2:15:31 AM6/26/10
to efloraofindia
It is Holigarna arnottiana of Anacardiaceae family for sure!

Regards
Giby
> > indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsubscribe@goog legroups.com>

Satish Phadke