Moringa concanensis flowering

Barry Stock

Jan 8, 2009, 10:53:28 AM1/8/09
to Indian Tree Pix, J.M. Garg
This is the most extensive flowering of this tree since it was planted
three years ago. It doesn't fruit as copiously as Moringa oleifera,
but sets four or five long seed pods each time. This time there may be
more, as the bees are hard at work.

Aspect:

moringa_concanensis.jpg
moringa_concanensis_bark.jpg
moringa_concanensis_flowers.jpg
moringa_concanensis_flower_closeup.jpg
moringa_oleifera_flower_closeup.jpg

satish phadke

Jan 8, 2009, 1:00:10 PM1/8/09
to Barry Stock, Indian Tree Pix, J.M. Garg
Nice info.Barry. I am not aware of the species.
Satish

2009/1/8 Barry Stock <barry...@gmail.com>
Thick, corky bark:

Flower spray:

Flower closeup:

M. oleifera flower for comparison (it's right next to the M.
concanensis):

I don't know whether I've asked this question before, but does anyone
in the group know of the edibility of Moringa concanensis compared to
Moringa oleifera? Is it edible (flowers, leaves, young pods)?

-bs

-bs

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

vinod kumar gupta

Jan 8, 2009, 2:51:45 PM1/8/09
to Barry Stock, Indian Tree Pix, J.M. Garg
Nice shots.Where was it taken

Vinod

Jan 8, 2009, 3:22:34 PM1/8/09
to vinod kumar gupta, Indian Tree Pix, J.M. Garg
I have it in my back garden in Hollywood, Florida, USA. I received seeds in 2005 collected by a plant researcher. I have planted them around, and also given them to local botanical gardens. One I planted has solid white flowers, and less distinct foliage, which makes me wonder whether it is a concanensis/oleifera cross.

The root system of M. concanensis is much more aggressive on the surface than M. oleifera. It has a very robust set of surface/slightly subsurface roots.

-bs

J.M. Garg

This is the most extensive flowering of this tree since it was planted three years ago. It doesn't fruit as copiously as Moringa oleifera, but sets four or five long seed pods each time. This time there may be more, as the bees are hard at work.

Aspect:

Thick, corky bark:

Flower spray:

Flower closeup:

M. oleifera flower for comparison (it's right next to the M. concanensis):

I don't know whether I've asked this question before, but does anyone in the group know of the edibility of Moringa concanensis compared to Moringa oleifera? Is it edible (flowers, leaves, young pods)?

-bs

-bs

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

moringa_concanensis.jpg
moringa_concanensis_bark.jpg
moringa_concanensis_flowers.jpg
moringa_concanensis_flower_closeup.jpg
moringa_oleifera_flower_closeup.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 29, 2009, 1:37:40 AM1/29/09
to J.M. Garg, barry...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
.. do not know about edibility comparison rightaway ... but thanks very much Barry, for the ID comparison.
Will be back if I get to know.
Regards.

Barry Stock

Jan 30, 2009, 7:43:46 AM1/30/09
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Thanks all very much for any information. I will add that the collector of seed asked the locals about whether it was edible, and was told "if you eat it for seven days you will go insane". He interpreted that to mean a high cyanide content, but that's the only evidence.

Not exactly scientific, but enough to keep me from trying it until I know!

-bs