Sphaeranthus indicus

Pravin Kawale

Nov 14, 2009, 1:54:43 AM11/14/09
to indiantreepix
Hi,
Flowers of Sphaeranthus indicus
Marathi name: Gorakhmundi
At Sagargad,Alibag
14 Nov,2009
Thanks

DSC08790.JPG
DSC08793.JPG
DSC08788.JPG

DSC08790.JPG
DSC08793.JPG
DSC08788.JPG

Pankaj Oudhia

Nov 14, 2009, 2:04:12 AM11/14/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing. It is considered as fertility indicator. Its presence in crop fields increases the price of land. Farmers believe that if Gudaria, local name, is growing in this land it means we can grow all crops with good harvest.

The name Gorakhmundi says that it is the herb recommended by Baba Gorakhnath. It is used as traditional medicine, although our weed scientists have wasted millions to manage this plant as weed in crop fields. As I always say, farmers are real scientists. They ignore the weed expert's recommnedations and collect this herb from field and sell it to local herb traders. In this way they earn additional income from this socalled weed. Every year this herb is purchased in bulk and in form of tens of truckloads supplied to drug manufacturing companies. I have written hundreds of articles on different aspect of this herb.

Here are some useful links

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=+site:www.botanical.com+sphaeranthus+oudhia&ei=vFX-SoWIG4Xu6gPA5qXzCg&sa=X&oi=manybox&resnum=7&ct=all-results&ved=0CAIQqAQwBw&fp=94f5bc3d92523f1a

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/CropFactSheets/sphaeranthus.html

Pankaj Oudhia

Dinesh Valke

Nov 14, 2009, 2:20:30 AM11/14/09
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
.... commonly known as: East Indian globe thistle, Indian sphaeranthus, seed basil • Arabic: kamaz ariyus • Bengali: মুরমুরিযা murmuriya • Gujarati: ગોરકમુન્ડી gorakhmundi • Hindi मुण्डी mundi • Kannada: ಬೋಡು ಕಡಲೆ bodu-kadale • Konkani: गोरखमुण्डी gorakhmundi • Malayalam: മിരംഗനീ mirangani • Marathi: खडकशेपू khadakshepu, मुंडी mundi, नाई nai, नाय naya • Nepalese: गोरखमुन्दि gorakhmundi • Oriya: buikadam • Sanskrit: मुण्डि mundi • Santal: belaunja • Tamil: கொட்டைக்கரந்தை kottai-k-karantai, உதறிமுறிப்பான் utharrimurrippan, விஷ்ணுகரந்தை visnu-karantai • Telugu: బోడతరము boda-taramu, శ్రావణి sravani • Urdu: منڐي گل gul mundi • Undari: mundi

Regards.