Re: Citrus - Rutaceae Week: May 7 to 13, 2012

OZmic

May 4, 2012, 5:14:47 PM5/4/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to Citrus week.
I have been asked to coordinate this discussion but felt a little out of my depth.
Dr. Gurcharan Singh having agreed to supervise the proceedings I feel a little more relax. However mostly I will lead the exchanges related to nomenclature. Here I feel in my element. As an introduction to the topic of Citrus let me say that I truely believe that our discussion group has the potential to sort most of the nomenclatural confusion in regards to Citrus names in India. It will certainly take more than a week though.
I have received messages telling me that people do not feel they can contribute because they are not experts. Everyone knows at least one language, that means one has the capacity to check facts using references. "Experts are people who know more and more about less and less". The two complement each other, so let's all work hard together.
Here are selected references related to Citrus that will provide much basic & advanced information.

Background material available online.
Wikipedia's Cultivated plant taxonomy < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultivated_plant_taxonomy >.
Wikipedia's Page on the 2009 ICNCP Code online  < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Code_of_Nomenclature_for_Cultivated_Plants >.
Brickell, C.D. et al. (eds) (2009). "International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants". Scripta Horticulturae (International Society of Horticultural Science) 10: 1–184. ISBN 978-0-643-09440-6.
< http://www.actahort.org/chronica/pdf/sh_10.pdf >.

Referential material available online.
Jorma Koskinen's  Citrus Pages:  < http://users.kymp.net/citruspages/botindex.html >. Each taxon illustrated and botanically identified.
Robert Willard Hodgson's Horticultural Varieties of Citrus  Chapter 4 of The Citrus Industry:  < http://lib.ucr.edu/agnic/webber/Vol1/Chapter4.html >. Often off line but keep trying. Lots of info about Indian cultivars.
My cross-index of Citrus names:  < http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Citrus.html > complements Jorma's botanical pages.
My pages Malayalam index  < http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Malayalam-index-new.html >.
Tamil index and Notes pages < http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Tamil_index_new.html > & < http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Notes_Indian_names.html >.
The "specific and complementary" references listed at the bottom of these pages will either serve many Indian names, most in romanised form or provide facilities to translate, transcribe or transliterate those names.
Of course this does not exclude your favourite reference books.
Now we are equiped to do the hard work.
....more coming

OZmic

May 4, 2012, 5:17:44 PM5/4/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Citrus week - Introduction Part 2
I would like to point out the problems, as I see them, with Indian names.
In India people often rely on Sanscrit names. Many internet sites revolve around Ayurvedic concepts and Sanskrit is as much or more popular than botanical Latin in those circles. Sanskrit names tend to be matched with older botanical names that either do not get a mention nowodays, or are older synonyms. Sometimes the synonymy can lead to the modern preferred name but in some cases it is almost impossible to match. Often the same name is applied to different plants. This is not just typical of Indian names, it does happen everywhere in the world. So one has to turn to other languages from India. The problem here is that there are many scripts and even more languages. In Europe one deals with 3 or 4 scripts mainly and in most languages the vernacular is matched with modern botanical names.
Outside India when one meets an Indian name it is in 90% of cases a romanised version of a name, especially on the internet. The process of romanisation / transcription / transliteration is never totally accurate. If one tries to transcribe back into the original language many questions arise.
On the botanical side all subspecific names tend to be grouped under the specific name (the numbers of species are an indication of bio-diversity) but this does not favour diversity in cultivated plants. Some of the matching common names are generic by definition so they may apply to several subspecific "taxa". This means that they are not wrong but they are not precise enough. Therefore one must try to find names that reflect the botanical rank of the plant identified. It can be a subspecies, a variety, a cultivar or belong to a cultivar group.
The trade has often had a bad influence on vernacular. It is common to associate a species with a cultivar name, "kamala" is an example. Then that name gets applied to various subspecific plants thereby becoming a generic name. One can imagine, if this name is say Hindi, that it will inevitably be transcribed into Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu etc. Each of those may be badly transcribed, will be (badly) romanised in various ways and one ends up with hundreds of almost meaningless names.
There are hundreds of expressions such as "small-leaved", "large-flowered", "hairy-leaved", "large-seeded" ... and so on. I am not familiar enough with Indian languages but if such expressions are not commonly found in India surely there must be other ways of adding specificity to names.
Localising any name as much as possible helps. "Southern...", "Northern ...", "Sinhalese ...", "Tamil Nadu...", "Silhet..." and so on.

Regarding botanical names: in the previously mentioned Wiki pages a good example is given illustrating the various "standardised" versions of a cultivar name applied to a Japanese flowering cherry. The comments in colour are my own.
Prunus serrata Sato-zakura Group  <- this is not specific enough because it would apply to all cultivars in the group.
Prunus serrata (Sato-zakura Group) ‘Ojochin’   <-  this would be my preferred choice, except that the authority name would not be excessive, thus:  Prunus serrata Lindl. (Sato-zakura Group) ‘Ojochinperfect.
Prunus ‘Ojochin’  <- this is trade standard, too brief, not enough information
Flowering cherry ‘Ojochin’  <-  this is vernacular, also applied in trade, catalogues for example.
Coming back to Citrus, I would suggest first that whenever a name is mentioned, its origin should be mentioned (Tamil / Bengali etc.), or its corresponding name in script (as opposed to the ever misleading romanised version) should be given, and if possible the matching botanical name. I can provide much of what would be missing but we may wish to limit ourselves to short lists. At this point it is not helpful to check my MMPND pages on "Sorting Citrus names" except for the previously mentioned sections, but I will let everyone know when a more reliable string of names is being posted on that site. Examples paralleling the Prunus above:
মোসাম্বি (Mōsāmbi)  ->   Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck 'Mosambi'  ->   Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck (Sweet-Orange Group) 'Mosambi'
मौसम्बी  Mausambī  (Mausambee, Musambi)   ->  Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck (Sweet-Orange Group) 'Mosambi'
मौसम्बी Mausambī  (Mausambee, Musambi)   ->      Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck 'Mosambi' ->   Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck (Sweet-Orange Group) 'Mosambi'

Vernacular: any of those 3 would be worth mentioning: Mausambī, Mausambee, Musambi. The most accurate word is  मौसम्बी (if I havent made a mistake).
Botanical: any of these would provide a good start:  Citrus sinensis 'Mosambi' ,or  Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck (Sweet-Orange Group), or Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck 'Mosambi', even Citrus sinensis .

Rightly or wrongly Mosambi is also applied to the Navel Group - Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck (Navel Group)
Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck (Navel Group) includes non Indian cultivars such as Atwood Navel, Brazilian Navel, Thomson Navel, Washington Navel, and many more.

One view (please confirm / validate) is that in India there
are:
Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck (Sweet-Orange Group) including Malta, Mosambi, Sathgudi and Washington Navel.
Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck (Loose-skinned Orange Group)   including Assam Santra, Coorg Santra, Nagpur Santra and Sikkim orange. This group should not be confused with Citrus reticulata Blanco (Mandarine Group).
... more coming

OZmic

May 4, 2012, 5:26:19 PM5/4/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Citrus week - Part 3 - Setting the challenges
Main cultivated and wild citrus species in India
Each name is to be elaborated on, transcripted and validated by native speakers. Synonyms in all languages of India will be matched so please start feeding the beast.
Informed arguments are welcomed

Bolded names are the currently accepted names (based on Tanaka & Mabberley) It is evident that the new taxonomy introduces extra difficulties when matching names. This is a very good reason for not discarding the old names but to keep them as synonyms whether legitimate or not as long as they carry the authority name(s).  "Citrus reticulata var. crenatifolia" for example can be meaningless if met for the first time out of the blue.
In blue I have given the regions where each type of citrus is grown and the languages (in parenthesis) which should have names for those citrus, but this is not exclusive.

Citrus acida Pers.  ->   Citrus × acida Pers. ->  Citrus  × aurantifolia (Christm.) Swingle
Citrus acida Roxb.  ->   Citrus  × aurantifolia (Christm.) Swingle

Citrus assamensis  S. Dutta & S.C. Bhattach.
Specific common names:  Ada-jamir           N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)

Citrus aurantifolia Swingle   ->     Citrus × aurantiifolia (Christm.) Swingle
Specific common names:  Abhayapuri lime, Karimganj lime, Kagzi lime
Commercial cultivar names:   Kagzi lime, Vikram,  Pramalini, Sai sarbati, Baramasi             All India

Citrus aurantium Linn.   ->    Citrus × aurantium L.
Specific common names:  Kmrun-jamir, Godh Huntra Herale, Mole Kaipuli      All India

Citrus grandis Osbeck       ->   Citrus maxima (Burm.) Merr.
Specific common names:  Dowali, Nowgong Burni, Gagar, Zemabawk Aijal
Commercial cultivar names:   Chakotra, Gagar      All India

Citrus ichangenis Swingle        ->       Citrus cavaleriei  H. Lév. ex Cavalerie
Specific common names:  Ketsa Shupfu          N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)

Citrus indica Tan.
Specific common names:  Indian wild orange             N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)

Citrus jambhiri Lush.   ->    Citrus × jambhiri  Lush.
Specific common names:  Soh-myndong, Soh-jhahlia, Kata Jamir, Mithi, Mitha Tulia, Jambheri Kotangiri, Renuka lemon,
Jatti Khatti, Jullandhuri Khatti, Jambheri Kodur, Khatta Patiala, Jambhiri Local, Moogu Nimbe          All India

Citrus karna Raf.   ->    Citrus × aurantium L. 'Karna'
Specific common names:  Soh-sarkar, Nibu, Karna Khatta, Karna, Karna nimboo   N.E. India & W. India

Citrus latifolia Tan. Acid lime (Large fruits)   ->   Citrus × latifolia Tanaka
Commercial cultivar names:  Kagzi    (Tamil)

Citrus latipes (Swingle) Tanaka
Specific common names:  Khasi papeda, Soh-kymphorshrich, Soh-Shyrkhoit N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)

Citrus limetta Risso   ->  Citrus × limon (L.) Osbeck 'Limetta'
Specific common names:  Italian lime, Mediterranean sweet lemon, Sweet lemon, Sweet lime, Sweet limetta, Mitha-kagzi   N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)

Citrus limettioides Tan.   ->   Citrus × limon (L.) Osbeck 'Indian Lime'
Citrus medica L. var. limetta Wight & Arn.  (a synonym?)
Specific common names:  Indian lime, Sweet lime (India), Mitha nimbu, Sakka nimbu, Sarbati chikna     N.W. India (Gujarati, Marathi, Punjabi)

Citrus limon Burm.f.        ->    Citrus × limon  (L.) Burm. f. ?   ->  Citrus × limon (L.) Osbeck (Mabberley class.)
Specific common names:  Assam lemon, Pati-lebu, Jora-tenga, Naya changney, Soh-systong, Pani-jamir
Commercial cultivar names:  Baramasia, Assam lemon, Gandhraj, Seville, Nepali Oblong, Nepali lemon, Italian and Eureka   N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)
"Assam lemon" is not Citrus assamensis as one would expect but Citrus limon - Please confirm / validate..

Citrus limon var. decumana            ->   Citrus maxima (Burm.) Merr.
Specific common names:  Soh-long, Hill lemon,  Galgal or Kil-Kil    N.E. India & W. India
Note: This is probably a totally illegitimate name. 2 illegitimate synonyms are know for this "taxon"  Citrus aurantium L. var. decumana L. and Citrus decumana L. In any case  Citrus × limon 'Galgal' appears to be the correct name for Galgal. (please confirm / validate)

Citrus limon var limon   (citron hybrids)   ->    Citrus × limon  (L.) Burm. f.
Specific common names:  Gandhraj lemon, Godhapti-lebu,  Kata-jamuri, Elachi-lebu
   All India

Citrus limonia Osbeck  ->  Citrus × limonia var. rangpur Osbeck ->  Citrus × jambhiri  Lush. 'Rangpur'
Specific common names: Rangpur lime, Marmalade orange, Kusai lime, Sylhet lime    N.E. India & Central India

Citrus limonum Wall. -> a synonym of  Citrus × limonum Risso  ?   ->   Citrus × limon (L.) Osbeck ????
Specific common names:  Kaghzi lemon, Mahajambiram, Peddanimba, Periya elumicham, Thorla limbu .
This one I cannot resolve.

Citrus macroptera
Mont.

Specific common names: Tith-kara, Sat-kara  N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)
Sat kora, Xat xora, Hat khora  (Sylheti is the language of Sylhet,)
(Sylheti: ছিলটী Silôṭi; Bengali: সিলেটী Sileṭī)

Citrus maderaspatana hort. ex Tan.  ->    Citrus × aurantium L. 'Kitchli'
Specific common names:  Kichli,Vadalapudi,  Belladikithuli
Commercial cultivar names:   Kichli,Vadalapudi,  Belladikithuli
South India
- Andra Pradesh (Telugu, Urdu)

Citrus madurensis Lour.  ->   Citrus × microcarpa Bunge
Specific common names: Calamondin   N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)

Citrus decumana L.   ->  Citrus grandis (L.) Osbeck   ->   Citrus maxima (Burm.) Merr.
Specific common names:  Batavi nebu, Cakotara, Pomelo, Pummelo (US), Shaddock, Toranji, Asian grapefruit
not to be confused with Grapefruit Citrus × paradisi  Macfadyen

Citrus medica L.
Specific common names: Bira-jora, Soh-manong, Mitha-jora, Yemekaipuli, Citron  All India

Citrus medica L. var. limonum (Wight & Arn.) Hook. f.     ->   Citrus × limon (L.) Osbeck  (see above)

Citrus megaloxycarpa Lush.
Specific common names: Bor-tenga, Hukma-tenga, Holong-tenga, Jamir-tenga, Amilbed  N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)

Citrus nakoor Sing
Specific common names: Nakoor lemon, Nakoor lime     South India
नकूर नीबू  Nakūra nībū  ???

Citrus nobilis Lour.  ->   Citrus reticulata  Blanco
Specific common names:  Jeneru-tenga    N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)

Citrus paratangerina hort. ex Tanaka
(small fruited mandarin)   Chota, Laddu, Sylhet Billikichili, Karpura Tenga, Naga santra,  Kodaikithuli, Kokni, Soh-seim
(Citrus reshni Tanaka)   Cleopatra mandarin is the chota or billi kichili of India.    N.E. India & Parts of India

Citrus pennivesiculata (Lush.) Tanaka
Specific common names: Gajanimma, Baduvapulli
Commercial cultivar names:  Gajanimma, Baduvapulli     South India (Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu)

Citrus pseudolimoni Tanaka  ->  Citrus × limon (L.) Osbeck 'Galgal'
Specific common names:  Galgal lemon, Hill lemon.

Citrus reticulata Blanco
Specific common names:  Nagpur mandarin, Khasi mandarin, Coorg mandarin, Sohniamtara, Lahore local,
Deshi, Darjeeling mandarin
Commercial cultivar names: Nagpur mandarin, Khasi mandarin, Coorg mandarin, Kamala orange, Darjeeling-orange and Kinnow
All India

Citrus reticulata var. crenatifolia      ->    Citrus crenatifolia Lush.
Specific common names: Kaula mandarin                N.W. India (Gujarati, Marathi, Punjabi)

Citrus rugulosa hort. ex.Tanaka
Specific common names: Attani small, Indian grapefruit                 N.W. India (Gujarati, Marathi, Punjabi)

Citrus semiperflorens Tan.       ->    Citrus semperflorens Lush.
Specific common names: Sadaphal               Parts of India
Note:  there is a Citrus semperflorens Lush known as Sadaphal - Tanaka's name could be misspelt - .!

Citrus sinensis Osbeck         ->    Citrus × sinensis  (L.) Osbeck
Specific common names: Soh-niangriang
Commercial cultivar names:  Malta, Mosambi, Sathgudi and Washington Navel. All belonging to the:
Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck (Sweet-Orange Group)
Assam Santra, Coorg Santra, Nagpur Santra and Sikkim orange. All belonging to the:

Citrus × sinensis (L.) Osbeck (Loose-skinned Orange Group)
N.E. India (Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri)

সাতকরা Sātakarā  (Assamese)  ->   ( Citrus macroptera var. assamensis )
is this a synonym of  Citrus assamensis S. Dutta & S. C. Bhattach. ?
a misspelling of Citrus macroptera Montrouz. var. annamensis Tanaka ?
or a papeda from Assam ?

Compiled mainly from the following sources:

Bhattacharya
& Dutta 1956; Singh 1977; Singh & Chadha 1993. In H.P. Singh's Genetic Diversity, Breeding and Utilization of Citrus Fruits. PART III: PGR Conservation and Use - Germplasm introduction, exchange, evaluation, improvement, conservation and utilization. Tropical Fruits in Asia - Diversity, Maintenance, Conservation and Use. IPGRI . < http://www2.bioversityinternational.org/publications/Web_version/510/ch06.htm >.

Jorma Koskinen, 2006 - 2011, Citrus Pages.  < http://users.kymp.net/citruspages/botindex.html >.

Porcher H. Michel, 2007 - 2011, Sorting Citrus names, M.M.P.N.D. < http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Citrus.html  >.

The major stumbling block is that the languages have to be guessed, and given the unreliability of transliterations it is extremely difficult to convert those names into correctly spelt words in their original scripts. So one has to rely on other references in order to find both scripted names and their romanised forms, and hope that some will match the above mentioned names.

That dear readers should keep us busy not just during Citrus week but for the coming months.
Informed arguments are welcomed
Thank you.

ushadi Micromini

May 4, 2012, 8:40:33 PM5/4/12
to OZmic, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
GREAT.... write up and Intro...

ARE WE THUS focusing ONLY on Cultivated Citrus in INDIA?

From these 3 messages, it seems we might be headed that way.....

OR am I confused?

Please clarify, Dr Porcher or Dr Gurcharan ....
Thanks

Usha di
==
--
Usha di
===========

Balkar Singh

May 4, 2012, 8:56:52 PM5/4/12
to ushadi Micromini, OZmic, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Very Good Information........... Thanks Dr Porcher
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Nidhan Singh

May 4, 2012, 11:01:33 PM5/4/12
to Balkar Singh, ushadi Micromini, OZmic, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dr. Porcher for extremely nice startup, so much information, will take many days to go through....HAPPY Rutaceae Week to come...

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2012, 11:25:07 PM5/4/12
to Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, ushadi Micromini, OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Indeed a very good write up, I knew a few days earlier and had hinted about it in my mail.
Ushadi, of course it is a Rutaceae Week, and all members of the family will be uploaded by the members. Citrus, however, being the largest genus would be the main focus, especially so because Mr. Porcher has great expertise on taxonomy and regional names of Citrus fruits, we all have to admit the taxonomy of this group is most confused and no two books tend to agree on accepted names. It should be a really exciting week, with Mr. Porcher steering and leading it.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

May 5, 2012, 12:22:58 AM5/5/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, ushadi Micromini, OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Dr Porcher for the thorough introduction.
Looking forward for an exciting and rewarding week.
Regards.
Dinesh

ushadi Micromini

May 5, 2012, 2:03:36 AM5/5/12
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the clarification, Gurcharanji, yes its quite a task, and I thank you Dr Porcher for it in advance...

looking forward to an interesting week
Usha di
=
--