Dendrobium Amitabh Bachchan

mani nair

Jun 23, 2010, 1:13:21 PM6/23/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

My apologies for sending the picture of a foreign orchid.  This is  Dendrobium Amitabh Bachchan.   I thought it would be interesting to all members to know that this orchid was named after  Mr. Amitabh Bachchan when he visited the National Orchid Garden, Singapore.

Regards,

Mani.
Den.ABachchan1.jpg
Den.ABachchan2.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 23, 2010, 1:17:38 PM6/23/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Great Gesture !!
tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

mani nair

Jun 25, 2010, 1:24:17 AM6/25/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanayji,

I thought from the groups name, only photos of Indian trees, flowers can be posted.

Regards,

Mani.

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 2:05:31 PM7/11/10
to efloraofindia
Just for those who wish to now.
You know when the whole world was busy extracting orchids from wild,
especially when the Europeans used to travel all the way from
Britain, France, etc. to come to India, just for collecting Orchids
from forests and take them back to their gardens in Europe, there was
one garden, which gave first hybrid orchid to the world and later the
hybrid became one of the best sellers. The hybrid was produced in 1893
and it was named 'Vanda Miss Joaquim' which was a cross between V.
hookeriana x V. teres.
The best part is, it was not produced in Europe but in Singapore
Botanic Gardens.
This not only reduced the pressure from the wild populations but it
also brought a new trend of Orchid hybridization.
Regards
Pankaj

tanay bose

Jul 11, 2010, 2:08:19 PM7/11/10
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
A new fact for me thanks for sharing Pankaj Ji
Thanks
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 11, 2010, 11:33:00 PM7/11/10
to tanay bose, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Just for record, when formally quoted the name of Amitabh Bachan would go within single quotes:
Dendrobium 'Amitabh Bachan'

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

mani nair

Jul 12, 2010, 12:37:47 AM7/12/10
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji for the info on Vanda Miss Joaquim.  During our visit to Singapore 2 years back we bought a seedling (in tube) of Vanda Miss Joaquim. It is similar to our Vanda teres as Vanda teres is one of its parent.  The other is Vanda hukeriana.  One of my friend in Singapore told me that it will flower only when it reaches two meters height.    I am sending a picture of this orchid.

Regards,

Mani.

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Dr. Pankaj Kumar <sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:
vmj.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 3:17:58 AM7/12/10
to mani nair, efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing Mr. Mani
I think it should have flowered by now.....Give some more light to it...
Regards
Pankaj

mani nair

Jul 12, 2010, 3:24:02 AM7/12/10
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji,  I have kept the orchid in a spot getting maximum sunlight.
Hope it will flower soon.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 3:29:30 AM7/12/10
to mani nair, efloraofindia
No no, not in maximum....you can keep it there if its not very
hot...otherwise, my intention was just to increase the amount of
sunlight. You must have bought the tissue culture raised plant which
usually takes time, but I have seen this hybrid flowering at 30cm
also...
If you keep it near some tree trunk, it can even behave like a climber....
Pankaj

mani nair

Jul 12, 2010, 3:36:44 AM7/12/10
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes Pankaj ji, maximum I mean it gets the sunlight till 2 p.m. and now the sunlight is not very harsh due to rain.  Kept in an East faced window box.  In fact it enjoys  the sunlight, only thing I have to water twice during summer.

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 5:12:25 AM7/12/10
to mani nair, efloraofindia
Hope it will flower soon!!!