Lindenbergia macrostachya from Morni hills, Haryana for confirmation

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 14, 2011, 7:51:22 AM4/14/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
I have a feeling that this is the same plant which is represented at FOI as Lindenbergia grandiflora. L. grandiflora is supposed to be a plant much more densely and spreading hairy with flowers almost 2.5-3 cm long with corolla 2-3 times as long as calyx, and also leaves may be up to 20 cm long. In our plants the plants are appressed hairy to almost glabrous, leaves smaller than 6 am and corolla 10-12 mm long, tube slightly longer than calyx.
     There is some some confusion whether our plant should be called as L. macrostachya Benth. (Kew Plant List considers it as unresolved name) or L. philippensis Benth. which is reported from Nepal Himalayas but without citation of synonym. Flora of British India considers this as a variety of L. philippensis with shorter petioles and more glabrous parts.

My photograph number 4 looks to be the same but has much interrupted inflorescence with distant flowers, or may represent early stage of the same plant. Your view please.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Lindenbergia-macrostachya-Morni hill tract-1.jpg
Lindenbergia-macrostachya-Morni hill tract-2.jpg
Lindenbergia-macrostachya-Morni hill tract-3.jpg
Lindenbergia-macrostachya-Morni hill tract-4.jpg

manudev madhavan

Apr 14, 2011, 7:53:44 AM4/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Nice catch sir ji,
Another new plant for me.. Thanks for sharing

--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 14, 2011, 8:06:12 AM4/14/11
to manudev madhavan, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Here is link for comparison with L. grandiflora

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Nidhan Singh

Apr 14, 2011, 10:31:53 AM4/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, manudev madhavan, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Thanks Sir,
This is indeed Lindenbergia mactrostachya. Quite common in Morni Hills
area. I hope you have posted the photograph from the same area.
Regards,

--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

J.M. Garg

Aug 7, 2013, 5:46:48 AM8/7/13
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, amit chauhan, meenakshi prajneshu, abesh sanyal, Balkar Singh, Nidhan Singh, Sundaresan Velusamy, mandeep kaur, Dr Umeshkumar Tiwari, Prashant awale, Suniti Datta, D.S Rawat, ashishm...@gmail.com, pandeyh...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kishanlal
Hi, Singh ji,
Scrophulariaceae of the Western Himalayas By Francis . Pennell (2007- Description & Keys- grandiflora, macrostachya & ruderalis) mentions
Lindenbergia macrostachya (Benth.) Benth., Scroph. Ind. 22 1835. (syn: Stemodia macrostachya Benth.).

Hope this helps.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
Lindenbergia-macrostachya-Morni hill tract-1.jpg
Lindenbergia-macrostachya-Morni hill tract-2.jpg
Lindenbergia-macrostachya-Morni hill tract-3.jpg
Lindenbergia-macrostachya-Morni hill tract-4.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 7, 2013, 9:06:50 AM8/7/13
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, amit chauhan, meenakshi prajneshu, abesh sanyal, Balkar Singh, Nidhan Singh, Sundaresan Velusamy, mandeep kaur, Dr Umeshkumar Tiwari, Prashant awale, Suniti Datta, D.S Rawat, ashishm...@gmail.com, pandeyh...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kishanlal
A reply;
"It is Linderbergia macrostchya  .
                          Yours,
                         Krishan Lal"