Plant for id 301209MK2

Muthu Karthick

Dec 30, 2009, 7:11:58 AM12/30/09
to indiantreepix
Dear members,
Id this parasite please. Could this be Balanophora sp.?
Location: Satyamangalam forest plains
Date: 08 Dec 2009

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 30, 2009, 8:28:16 AM12/30/09
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Muthu ji
Balanophora as I know is a root parasite with rhizome, scale leaves and spadix inflorescence, at least one species I know B. involcrata looks like a red mushroom. In fact it resembles mushroom so much that it took us good time to identifify it as an angiosperm. In fact I had published a paper in Science Reporter in 1972: A Flowering mushroom? Science Reporter9(5): 236-237.
    This plant to me looks like a mistletoe, may be a species of Dendrophthoe

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Muthu Karthick

Dec 30, 2009, 8:35:24 AM12/30/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Oh, sorry for the misidentification.

Dendrophthoe falcata
of Loranthaceae?

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 30, 2009, 8:38:47 AM12/30/09
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Yes muthu ji
We have it growing on branches of Trees in Delhi

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

JM Garg

May 21, 2020, 3:22:36 AM5/21/20
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, sing...@gmail.com, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Rathinasabapathy Bhuvaragasamy
These appears to be of Dendrophthoe gamblei as per images and details herein.
a 012.jpg
a 011.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 21, 2020, 4:30:00 AM5/21/20
to Lalithamba Avadhanam, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, GurcharanSingh, Rathinasabapathy Bhuvaragasamy
Thanks, Lalithamba ji.

On Thu, 21 May 2020 at 13:53, Lalithamba Avadhanam <alali...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
A.Lalithamba

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).