Grass from FPH, Agra, U.P

ankushdave .

Oct 15, 2019, 2:22:53 AM10/15/19
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Help to identify this beautiful grass
from rocky part of Agra.

Date of photograph : 15 October 19

Thanking You,
Ankush
Mob:- 7017606718
IMG_20191015_074539129.jpg
IMG_20191015_074547728.jpg

Shaikh Tarbej

Oct 15, 2019, 4:01:17 AM10/15/19
to efloraofindia
Melanocenchris jacquemontii Jaub. & Spach
Poaceae

Shaikh Tarbej

Oct 15, 2019, 4:01:24 AM10/15/19
to efloraofindia

ankushdave

Oct 15, 2019, 7:15:48 AM10/15/19
to efloraofindia
Sir looks more closer to Melanocenchris abyssinica please check

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Ethiopian%20Black%20Millet.html

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 15, 2019, 7:19:00 AM10/15/19
to efloraindia
You knew this Ankush Ji ?

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 5:00 PM ankushdave <ankus...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sir looks more closer to Melanocenchris abyssinica please check

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Ethiopian%20Black%20Millet.html

ankushdave

Oct 15, 2019, 7:31:40 AM10/15/19
to efloraofindia
No Sir but Melanocenchris jacquemontii is quite common in wild Agra and colours of spike in species posted is not matching with Melanocenchris jacquemontii as per my view. Please guide.

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 15, 2019, 7:38:20 AM10/15/19
to efloraindia
OK ! I asked since you have suggested Melanocenchris abyssinica !

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 5:16 PM ankushdave <ankus...@gmail.com> wrote:
No Sir but Melanocenchris jacquemontii is quite common in wild Agra and colours of spike in species posted is not matching with Melanocenchris jacquemontii as per my view. Please guide.

Shaikh Tarbej

Oct 15, 2019, 6:54:38 PM10/15/19
to efloraofindia
Quantitative character like color nothing matters for diagnos an species in grasses.
We have to check qualitative floral character (key character)

Melanocenchrus jaquamontii is common species.

ushadi

Oct 16, 2019, 3:40:23 AM10/16/19
to efloraofindia
I am confused now

so what is it?

does not matter if something is common

what matters is what is the identity of the specimen at hand

so someone please tell me what is it?
and how you came to that conclusion from these photos?

Regards
Ushadi