Names of Plants in India :: etymology of nouchali

Dinesh Valke

Oct 25, 2014, 3:48:46 AM10/25/14
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Please help with the etymology of the epithet - nouchali in context of the name Nymphaea nouchali.
(also found written as nauchali).

Regards.
Dinesh

Santhan P

Oct 25, 2014, 7:13:58 AM10/25/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
STAGNATION = निश्चलता - growing in stagnant water ?

J.M. Garg

Nov 1, 2014, 12:53:45 AM11/1/14
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

STAGNATION = निश्चलता - growing in stagnant water ?- from Santhan ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Dinesh Valke

Nov 1, 2014, 3:03:39 AM11/1/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan
Thank you very much Garg ji for following up on my query.
Thank you very much Santhan ji for your thought.
Another possibility I feel - it could be derived from some vernacular name (could be Sinhalese / s-e Asia) for the lotus flower / plant. But I am just not able to find any hint on the internet or in reference books that I have.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Nov 1, 2014, 7:39:13 AM11/1/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Nov 5, 2014, 7:49:06 AM11/5/14
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia

"The genus Nymphaea is named after the Greek goddess of springs, Nymphe. Nouchali is named after one of the nymphs, Nouchal."

- Petra Vandecasteele [In Celebration of Fynbos, Struik Publ., 2008, p. 142].

Best wishes, Viplav

Ushadi Micromini

Nov 5, 2014, 12:07:03 PM11/5/14
to vip...@gmail.com, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Viplav:
I am impressed
I must stay tuned to your conversations

great find

usha di
Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Nov 5, 2014, 12:10:14 PM11/5/14

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM, vip...@gmail.com <vip...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Usha di
===========

Dinesh Valke

Nov 5, 2014, 1:57:31 PM11/5/14
to Ushadi Micromini, vip...@gmail.com, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Viplav ji ... many many thanks for this bit of information.
Keen to know of the reference/bibliography that the author may have quoted to base her writing.

Searching for the word Nouchal - one result led me to Calflora though it has not much to say.
Searching "Nouchal Nymph" is discouraging.

At this juncture, the score is 1 each ... Nouchal (nymph) vs. Nauchali (district in Bangladesh).

Regards.
Dinesh

Ushadi Micromini

Nov 5, 2014, 6:19:07 PM11/5/14
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, vip...@gmail.com, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Exactly, Dinesh
i did the same searches now and in the past week or since we started on Nouchali word.

I searched for nymphs in greek lit sites no nouchali.
may be its an obscure nymph that appears in a are page...
i have decided to call JU and CU or St Xavier's department of classics if they have such a thing anymore...   and see if I can go and meet with some one..  next week .

And then there is someone Hugh Clarke who had something to do with it...
this came up when i searched for the lady who wrote the book Viplav mentioned...

and who is Burm f. who is attributed as having named or classified  the species of lily... as in  paper:    Megagametophyte development of Nymphaea nouchali Burm. f. (Nymphaeaceae)    Botanical Journal of the Linnean Societyvolume 126,, Issue 4 pages 339–348, April 1998.   etc

And I found ref to a phd 2013 thesis from MS univ Baroda that seems to have mentioned Nouchali nymph, but  quickly perusing its pages i don't find it.. seems i have to read all of it 246+ pages... adobe does not let me find a word in it as does any number of wordprocessing programmes.

we will get to bottom of this sooner or later.. now that Viplav has given us this lead.
usha di

--
Usha di

vip...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2014, 11:49:01 PM11/6/14
to Dinesh Valke, Ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia

A precise reference would have been ideal but the author lures us with the mere name of this enigmatic nymph - Nouchal - and no whereabouts;-( Other botanical names, several of them rooted in Greek mythology, have been similarly explained in this book.

The species might well have been named after the Noakhali district in Bangladesh.

I don't know for sure.

Best wishes, Viplav