Albizia mollis - लाल शिरीष

J.M. Garg

Mar 29, 2009, 12:01:22 AM3/29/09
to indiantreepix
Below given is a request from Swagat ji in a different thread. May I request members to post pictures, details etc. for discussion.

"Hi all,

I have heard about some other species also....
2) Albizia mollis - लाल शिरीष

Would like to know more about it.

Regards,
~Swagat

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Mar 30, 2009, 4:39:31 AM3/30/09
to indiantreepix
On Google search, it's stated to be Albizia julibrissin var. mollis.
This link which also gives details states it to be a syn. of Albizia julibrissin: http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/Sea/Products/AFDbases/AF/asp/SpeciesInfo.asp?SpID=17947

Here are some extracts worth going through from Wikipedia link (for more details & pictures click the link): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia_julibrissin
Albizia julibrissin is a species of legume in the genus Albizia, native to southern and eastern Asia, from Iran east to China and Korea.

The genus is named after the Italian nobleman Filippo del Albizzi, who introduced it to Europe in the mid-18th century, and it is sometimes incorrectly spelled Albizzia. The specific name julibrissin is a corruption of the Persian word gul-i abrisham (گل ابریشم) which means "silk flower" (from gul گل "flower" + abrisham ابریشم "silk").

Albizia julibrissin is known by a wide variety of common names, such as Persian silk tree or pink siris. It is also called Lenkoran acacia or bastard tamarind, though it is not too closely related to acacias (Acacieae), let alone tamarinds (Caesalpinioideae). The species is usually called "silk tree" or "mimosa" in the United States, which is misleading - the former name can refer to any species of Albizia which is most common in any one locale.

Its leaves slowly close during the night and during periods of rain, the leaflets bowing downward as if the tree were sleeping: its modern Persian name shabkhosb (شب‌خسب) means "night sleeper" (from shab شب‌ "night" and -khosb خسب "sleeper"). In Japan its common names are nemunoki, nemurinoki and nenenoki which all mean "sleeping tree". Nemu tree is a partial translation of nemunoki.

Albizia julibrissin is a small deciduous tree growing to 5 – 12 m tall, with a broad crown of level or arching branches. The bark is dark greenish grey in colour and striped vertically as it gets older. The leaves are tripinnate, 20 – 45 cm long and 12 – 25 cm broad, divided into 6 – 12 pairs of pinnae, each with 20 – 30 pairs of leaflets; the leaflets are oblong, 1 – 1.5 cm long and 2 – 4 mm broad. The flowers are produced throughout the summer in dense inflorescences, the individual flowers with no petals but a tight cluster of stamens 2 – 3 cm long, white or pink with a white base, looking like silky threads. They have been observed to be attractive to bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. The fruit is a flat brown pod 10 – 20 cm long and 2 – 2.5 cm broad, containing several seeds inside.

There are two varieties:

  • Albizia julibrissin var. julibrissin. The typical variety, described above.
  • Albizia julibrissin var. mollis. Differs in the shoots being densely hairy.

Persian silk tree is widely planted as an ornamental plant, grown for the leaf texture and flowers. The broad crown of a mature tree makes it useful for providing dappled shade.

Swagat

Apr 1, 2009, 2:10:10 AM4/1/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot Garg ji.