Acacia farnesiana and not Acacia nilotica

Satish Phadke

Jul 17, 2010, 9:53:06 AM7/17/10
to indiantreepix
Acacia farnesiana
Family : Mimosaceae.
So far I was not knowing that this tree is different from Acacia nilotica.
Last Sunday Shrikant ji showed me this tree.
Flowers same as A. nilotica but much fragrant. Stipules spinescent and small 0.5 cm unlike long white thorns of Acacia nilotica.
Pods is the identifying character. They are dark brown cylindrical as shown in the picture.
This is a native tree and around 4-5 shrubby trees were observed in an open area in the Pune city, probably natural or may have been planted in the past.
Dr Phadke
Acacia farnesianaDSCN0131.jpg
Acacia farnesianaDSCN0136.jpg
Acacia farnesianaDSCN0150.jpg
Acacia farnesianaDSCN0152.jpg
Acacia farnesianaDSCN0163.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 17, 2010, 10:06:14 AM7/17/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks for the post and a great set of botanical informations
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)