Small flowered conyza species: 3. Conyza sumatrensis from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 24, 2011, 12:19:01 PM10/24/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Conyza sumatrensis (Retz.) Walker, J. Jap. Bot. 46: 72. 1971
syn Erigeron sumatrensis Retz.; Erigeron albida Willd. ex Spreng

This late flowering species as indicated in the key comes to flower in August and continues to end of September as we found in Chakrata area is much more rebust than C. canadensis, reaching 2 m in height much branched in the upper part, branches and leaves densely hairy, lower leaves oblanceolate, upper linear-lanceolate, heads longer and broader, 4-6 mm across, phyllaries densely hairy with shorter hairs; broader fruiting head and longer pappus.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Conyza albida-Balgarden-Kashmir-1.jpg
Conyza albida-Balgarden-Kashmir-2.jpg
Conyza albida--Balgarden-Kashmir-3.jpg
Conyza albida--Balgarden-Kashmir-4.jpg

Balkar Singh

Oct 24, 2011, 12:23:01 PM10/24/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Thanks Sir for This nice set of pics with details
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Tabish

Nov 19, 2011, 12:36:43 AM11/19/11
to efloraindia, Gurcharan Singh
Dear Gurcharan ji,
I am not able to differentiate this picture from Conyza
bonariensis. Any clues?
- Tabish

On Oct 24, 9:19 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Conyza sumatrensis* (Retz.) Walker, J. Jap. Bot. 46: 72. 1971
> syn *Erigeron* *sumatrensis* Retz.; *Erigeron albida* Willd. ex Spreng

> This late flowering species as indicated in the key comes to flower in
> August and continues to end of September as we found in Chakrata area is
> much more rebust than C. canadensis, reaching 2 m in height much branched in
> the upper part, branches and leaves densely hairy, lower leaves
> oblanceolate, upper linear-lanceolate, heads longer and broader, 4-6 mm
> across, phyllaries densely hairy with shorter hairs; broader fruiting head
> and longer pappus.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

>  Conyza albida-Balgarden-Kashmir-1.jpg
> 668KViewDownload
>
>  Conyza albida-Balgarden-Kashmir-2.jpg
> 325KViewDownload
>
>  Conyza albida--Balgarden-Kashmir-3.jpg
> 138KViewDownload
>
>  Conyza albida--Balgarden-Kashmir-4.jpg
> 163KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 19, 2011, 1:07:05 AM11/19/11
to Tabish, efloraindia
Tabish
Not to be confused with Conyza bonariensis, but yes often confused with Conyza canadensis. It is a much taller plant often reaching 1.5 m, whereas C. bonariensis does not grow more than 50 cm

I am enclosing all the three together.

This key from eFlora of Taiwan should help

4 (3) Heads ca. 2.5-3.5 mm across, ligules small but apparent. (5)
+Heads ca. 5-8 mm across, ligules obscure.  (6)

5 (4) Stems hirsute; leaves lanceolate, serrate. var. canadensis
+Stems glabrate; leaves linear, nearly entire.  var. pusilla

6 (4) Leaves linear to linear-lanceolate; axillary branches usually overtopping axis.  Conyza bonariensis
+Leaves oblanceolate; axillary branches not overtopping main axis. Conyza sumatrensis

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
Conyza bonariensis L-C albida-C canadensis-Kashmir-1.jpg
Conyza bonariensis L-C albida-C canadensis-R-Kashmir-5-DSC07373.jpg
Conyza bonariensis L-C albida-C canadensis-R-Kashmir-6-DSC07377.jpg
Conyza bonariensis L-C albida-C canadensis-R-Kashmir-7DSC07370.jpg

Tabish

Nov 20, 2011, 12:27:59 AM11/20/11
to efloraindia
Thanks for the clarification