white chilli from Hooghly (WB) 30-03-12 SK-2

surajit koley

Mar 30, 2012, 2:28:08 PM3/30/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

Found this white variety of Capsicum beside a road. The owner used the narrow space lying between the road and and its drainage to grow this and some other vegetables like pumpkin, gourd etc.

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : roadside cultivation
Date : 30-03-12, 10.30 a.m.
Place : Garalgacha (Hooghly), WB
(images 800x600)

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Apr 1, 2012, 10:08:25 PM4/1/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.... is it spicy of peaceful as white :)
Pankaj

Tanay Bose

Apr 1, 2012, 10:21:15 PM4/1/12
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Truly an interesting discovery Surajit Da.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Research & Teaching Assistant.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 2, 2012, 2:03:17 AM4/2/12
to Tanay Bose, Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
I wonder whether it will stay lemon white or turn to red when mature. Please read this one:

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

surajit koley

Apr 2, 2012, 11:04:47 AM4/2/12
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Pankaj Sir,

The owner said that this white/albino chilli was real hot!

But i can not confirm because he (the owner), with a disgruntled face, kept an watchful eye on my every movement in his property :)

rkmkbk

Apr 2, 2012, 11:05:09 AM4/2/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I had seen completely black colored fruits long back from Thanjavur. They also like this small fruits but spicy.

surajit koley

Apr 2, 2012, 11:07:35 AM4/2/12
to Tanay Bose, Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Tanay Sir.

Will try to gather more information on it when i revisit the place and also from my peers if any of them know this variety.

Regards,

Surajit

surajit koley

Apr 2, 2012, 11:18:41 AM4/2/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Gurcharan Sir for the links.

Quite informative reading and it raises my curiosity more. Will try to revisit the place and collect more info on it.

Regards,

Surajit

surajit koley

Apr 2, 2012, 11:28:27 AM4/2/12
to rkmkbk, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sir for the info.

Sometimes we also come across one or two purplish-black chilli along with green or red variety. Can you please confirm if those chilli were albino/white in immature stage?

Regards,

Surajit

surajit koley

Apr 23, 2012, 1:49:10 PM4/23/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

I met the owner of this chilli today. He said, "I am growing this chilli for the last 3 or 4 years.... this year the pods are smaller.... the pods turn reddish when ripe... these are much fiery than the usual variety we see here...!"

Two of his neighbours also confirmed its fiery taste. The pods are about an inch long. Attaching images that i have recorded this morning.

Regards,

surajit

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
DSCN2383.jpg
VSCN2404.jpg
VSCN2405.jpg

JM Garg

Sep 16, 2022, 11:38:30 AM9/16/22
to surajitkoley, efloraofindia
I think it is Capsicum frutescens L., as per keys herein.

surajit koley

Sep 30, 2022, 11:27:07 AM9/30/22
to JM Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir for the updated id.