Is it Polygonum aviculare ?

taffa...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2022, 1:35:34 AM11/20/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear members,
I am posting photos of a common knotweed of Srinagar which I think is P.aviculare.
It is a very common weed in lawns. Kindly confirm the ID.
Regards
Taffazull
polygonumplant2.jpg
polygonum ochrea reddish.JPG
polygonumflowersmagnified.JPG
polygonumbranch.JPG
Polygonumplant.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 20, 2022, 1:40:28 AM11/20/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, taff...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg
I guess the ID is correct !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

taffa...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2022, 1:49:33 AM11/20/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Saroj ji,
Thanks a lot for confirming the ID
Regards
Taffazull

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 23, 2022, 11:04:04 AM11/23/22
to eFloraofIndia
Yes it is P. aviculare.

taffa...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2022, 1:12:21 PM11/23/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Gurcharanji,
Thanks for confirming the ID
With sincere regards
Taffazull

J.M. Garg

Dec 4, 2022, 8:38:45 AM12/4/22
to Saroj Kasaju, indian...@googlegroups.com, taff...@yahoo.com, GurcharanSingh

taffa...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2022, 9:53:05 AM12/4/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Garg ji,
Thanks for confirmation
With sincere regards
Taffazull

Saroj Kasaju

Dec 4, 2022, 10:12:52 AM12/4/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg

Thank you Mr. Garg !

Saroj Kasaju

taffa...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2022, 1:43:18 AM12/13/22
to eFloraofIndia
Would like to add the following information :
Kashmiri name of P.avinculare is "Drab". Walter R Lawrence in his book "The Valley of Kashmir" (page 72)has made the following
remark . " Drab (Polygonum sp.) is eaten boiled with milk."   I tasted the leaves and found that  they were not bitter. Thus the assertion that the herb "rau dang" (literally bitter herb} of Vietnam is P.avinculare is wrong. Rau dang  most probably is Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi) which is bitter as rightly asserted by a supplier on his website. With the easy availability of commercially cultivated vegetables Drab is no longer used as a  food in Kashmir.

J.M. Garg

Dec 13, 2022, 7:47:37 PM12/13/22
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazul ji, for the interesting inf.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg