For ID 090910 ET

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Sep 9, 2010, 3:46:36 AM9/9/10
to indiantreepix
Friends
This Orchid picture I took in Mukali, near Attappadi, Kerala
Date/Time- ------ May 15, 2010 ----8.44 a.m.
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS------ Mukali
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-------------Wild
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-----
Height/Length- ----- Orchid is around 2.0 me, from ground on the tree
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size -------
Inflorescence Type/ Size-
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- ----
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds—
Please give ID
With Warm Regards,

E.Thiruvengadam
Mobile 09987886892
Chembur, Mumbai - 400074

IMG_0970.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 9, 2010, 3:55:12 AM9/9/10
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
This is Dendrobium, but in this condition its hard to id. If I had to
give one guess then on the basis of drooping stem and small fruit (the
one small thing hanging from one stem, if it is a fruit) this should
be Dendrobium aphyllum (earlier known as Dendrobium macrostachyum)
which has green coloured flowers.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Smilax004

Sep 9, 2010, 7:35:00 AM9/9/10
to efloraofindia
I completely agree with my friend Pankaj.
it is most probably D. aphyllum.
My points are
1. druping long branches.
2. Small fruit from the node of the stem (not from an inflorescence)

Dear Ekambaram, Please keep an eye on it (same individual) by next
June-July you will get the flowers post it we will confirm it.
Pankaj,
Flowers of this species can be yellowish green most of my sightings
are with yellow(ish) flowers.

Regards,
Giby.

On Sep 9, 12:46 pm, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram <ethiruvenga...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  IMG_0970.JPG
> 99KViewDownload

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 9, 2010, 7:52:29 AM9/9/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Dear Gibs,

I have pic of flowering plants from your study area taken by Mr.
V.R.Singh, and they are greenish yellow. Where as plants from my study
area are non yellowish but more like pale green with a very light tint
of blue.
Such variations may occur, not a big deal.

Regards
Pankaj

tanay bose

Sep 9, 2010, 10:01:00 AM9/9/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Smilax004, efloraofindia
I am attaching link for photo with flower
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 9, 2010, 10:04:15 AM9/9/10
to tanay bose, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Unfortunately the link doesnt have correct plant in it. That is
Dendrobium cucullatum.
Regards
Pankaj