Phlox

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Oct 6, 2010, 3:46:29 PM10/6/10
to efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Hi
pic of Phlox flowers from my school's garden.
cheers!
Shantanu.....
phlox.JPG

tanay bose

Oct 6, 2010, 7:18:59 PM10/6/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
I think your school is quite colourful
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

mani nair

Oct 7, 2010, 1:38:46 AM10/7/10
to tanay bose, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Colorful school and students with green thumb.

Regards,

Mani.

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Oct 7, 2010, 2:50:45 AM10/7/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Yes Tanay...there is a big garden in my school...adorned with different kinds of flowers and shrubs. In winter season, the new fresh winter flowers like Chrysanthemums, Ziniahs, Phlox,Dahlias,Salvias, Marigolds are also planted. Then the entire garden and lawn turns colourful. And the gardender maintains them properly, The students are strictly instructed not to pluck the flowers.
I will post the pics of all these flowers in winter.

yes Mani ji....environmental awareness is being spread among the students. They are taken to natural habitats near the school, and the Indian Institute of Management campus for identification of birds and plants.

cheers!
Shantanu.

nabha meghani

Oct 7, 2010, 7:08:06 AM10/7/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Shantanu ji,
we have schoolgardens too in Germany. Here the students plant,  take care and grow the flowers etc. under the guidence of a gardner and school teachers. This would be the direct way of spreading environmental awareness. When the children, students themselves plant the flowers they care more for them. In many schools in Germany there are not only school gardens but also school ponds. That is how children learn about the small creatures in the water, analyse the quality of the water in school lab and watch the small creatures under the school microscope.

I don't know, if schools in India would like to teach the children in the same way, in addition to taking them on a trip to natural habitats near the school. Worth thinking and trying.
Till yesterday we were discussing the issue of kaas. Perhaps doing some gardening in the schools can be a way of getting to understand - instead of preaching - children how to respect the flora and fauna around us.

Regards
Nalini

tanay bose

Oct 7, 2010, 9:43:51 AM10/7/10
to nabha meghani, Shantanu Bhattacharya, mani nair, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
You school remonds me of my school days at St.Thomas Boys's School Khidderpore
It had lovely gardens all around
Tanay

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Oct 7, 2010, 3:03:38 PM10/7/10
to tanay bose, nabha meghani, mani nair, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Yes Tanay....There is a big garden in St.Thomas Boy's Kidderpore. We have been sent there from our school for invigilation during ICSE Board Exam.
cheers!
Shantanu  :)

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Oct 7, 2010, 3:33:21 PM10/7/10
to nabha meghani, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Yes Nalini ji...i forgot to mention...the students in my school do participate in the gardening activities...along with nature study. But frankly speaking in the Indian schools, the students rely more on bookish knowledge....

Shantanu

Rashida Atthar

Oct 8, 2010, 12:34:45 AM10/8/10
to nabha meghani, Shantanu Bhattacharya, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Wonderful concept Nalini ji. Hope this becomes more universal !

regards,
Rashida.

nabha meghani

Oct 8, 2010, 6:12:41 AM10/8/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Why not try to change it then?

Desmond dekker says:
You can do it if you really want, But you must try, try and try, You succeed at last!

JM Garg

Jun 13, 2020, 1:31:32 AM6/13/20
to efloraofindia, Shantanu Bhattacharya
I think this should be P. drummondii 'Twinkle Star' as per Wikipedia & Flowers of India
phlox.JPG